• Register Today It's free!

maf sensor

pushrod

Reaction score
City, State
king nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 eddie bower
my 94 explorer is surging under acceleration and doesent have the power it should have i've been told that i should clean the maf sensor, could someone please tell me where this sensor is located and how to clean it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The MAF sensor is between the box where the air filter goes and the air intake tube. It's an aluminum cylinder with a little black square on top and a wiring harness plugging into it. To clean it, remove it from the truck and spray the little wires inside with non-residue electrical contact cleaner. Let it dry and put it back on the truck. While you have it out, you may want to consider swapping the electronics out of the 4.0L housing to a 5.0L housing, or in my case I used the housing from a 3.8L Windstar (it's the same size as the 5.0L one). The reason for this swap is to allow more air to flow into the motor. The 4.0L housing is the narrowest part of the stock air intake system.

EDIT: Apparently you can also use the MAF housing off a 4.6L like in a Thunder Bird.

thank you for the advise,,,

No problem. I think there's a write up here somewhere. Search "MAF cleaning" or "MAF mod", something like that and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. This site is great place with lots of write ups and intelligent people.

I had the same problem with my 94 X, I cleaned the MAF and still had the problem, I was going to buy a new one but they are way too costly. Good thing I have a parts truck, I used the one off it and it works perfect.

The surging you are experiencing could be caused by several things, Clean the MAF, the IAC valve (Idle Air-Control valve) check for vacuum leaks/missing hoses and vacuum port caps at the vacuum tree, it's on top of the engine, towards the back on the driver's-side of the engine; depending on the options your truck has (A/C, Automatic Trans., cruise-control, etc) There should be anywhere from 3 to 5 hoses and any open ports should have either a vacuum hose attached or a rubber cap on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0675 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0675 - Copy.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,274
  • IMG_0683 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0683 - Copy.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,614

A torx security bit set is good to have for those, obviously. I found a few sets of different security bits at harbor freight. My maf was cleaned and it worked to cure my surging. Good luck.

You can also take a dremel and remove the center pin on those screws like I did, and they will accept regular torx. Or use a dremel to cut a slot in the screw and it will take slotted or regular torx bits (I can't remember who told me about making the screw slotted, it was someone on this site though).

Back