• Register Today It's free!

Maintenance at 200k

expmont

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer, 4WD, Base
I have a 2014 4WD with 197k miles. 90% of these miles are highway miles. I have had the fluids changed on a regular basis (oil every 5k miles, transmission fluid every 50k, coolant every 60k) and have replaced the plugs and wires and PCV valve but have not had to do any major repairs.

The PTU started leaking a few months ago. I have been topping it off but am getting ready to have it replaced. I plan to keep using it for commuting for awhile then it will become my teenager's car.

While I am having the PTU replaced, does it make sense to preemptively replace the water pump and timing chains since there will be some labor cost savings? Anything else I should consider? My 2009 had a fuel filter but the 2014 does not have a replaceable filter.

Also, on the last oil change, the dealer had to get a larger oil pan drain plug as the threads on the factory plug no longer fit. The new plug leaked after the last oil change but is okay now. Has anyone had to deal with this? If I replace the water pump, the cost to replace the oil pan will just be the cost of the parts which is around $110 so I might just replace it.

I had a 2009 Explorer I drove to 192k miles but sold it although I was not having any issues. The new owner has been driving it for years without major issues so I am thinking I can take the 2014 to at least 250k.

Thanks in advance.

If you are going to spend a decent amount of money to keep it on the road then changing the water pump, oil pump and timing chain/guides makes a lot of sense. At 200k miles the water pump could go at any time and take out the engine in the blink of an eye. Then all the money you put in it will be wasted. Other than the water pump, the 3.5L engines are very reliable and darn near bullet proof. The PTU should be drained and refilled every 30k miles. PTUs are hard on fluid because they are baked by the exhaust and engine heat.

My 2011 was at 200,000 miles when I decided to do what I could to keep it going forever. I dont have a PTU to worry about, but the water pump is another story. I replaced it, the timing chain, oil pump and front crank seal. The car is at 340,000 miles now, and Im planning on doing it again sometime next year,

I had the same problem with the oil pan. I replaced the plug with this thing. My mechanic refused to instal it, so I did it myself and it works well

Amazon product ASIN B01LX3CGZ3

Back