Manifold bolts head stripped. Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manifold bolts head stripped. Help

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
City, State
Pee Dee Region - SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT 4WD K-flex 4.0 V6
I tried to remove the bolts that hold the thermoplastic manifold on my '04 V6 and the heads stripped. I was using a T25 star drive and the soft metal stripped right out. Anyone else have this problem and can you give me any advice on how to get them out? I was going to use a screw/bolt removal driver. Is there an upgraded bolt with grommet for the manifold? They seem really cheap. I'm replacing the gaskets for the manifold so I need to get those bolts out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the torx size is actually T30. I was able to use a T27 on mine with no problems.

Can you try and use a bigger torx? T27or T30?
Tap it into the head of the bolt to get a good grip.

i would also suggest tapping in a larger size torx bit and getting it nice and wedged in there. if that doesnt work, if you have a big enough assortment of flathead drivers, try finding one that is just big enough to fit end to end in the torx pattern. tap it in with a hammer and try giving it a turn. good luck!

I tried to remove the bolts that hold the thermoplastic manifold on my '04 V6 and the heads stripped. I was using a T25 star drive and the soft metal stripped right out. Anyone else have this problem and can you give me any advice on how to get them out? I was going to use a screw/bolt removal driver. Is there an upgraded bolt with grommet for the manifold? They seem really cheap. I'm replacing the gaskets for the manifold so I need to get those bolts out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I just went trough this on my '05 changing the fuel rail pressure sensor. I ended up beating a 9mm 12pt socket home over the head of the bolt, rocking it back and forth a few times and it spun right out. Turns out someone else had broken off a torx bit in it ( and it is T-30 ). They were probably going after that sensor, broke the bit, decided to button it all back up and trade it in on something else...... LOL

Back