Tightening Intake Manifold Bolts

chris8428

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Good Morning All

Back in December of 2022 I replaced the fuel rail sensor on my 2005 Explorer with information from this forum and a thread I started which I have linked below. I used a new gasket when reinstalling the intake manifold and tightened the bolts from the middle one to the outside ones gradually increasing the torque specification to 8 ft-lbs or 89 inch pounds. The car runs well and I have no codes. However, at certain RPMs I hear what I think is a very slight vacuum leak. And recently I noticed a little oil residue on the engine below the intake manifold.

It is possible I did not tighten the bolts enough. My question is if I re-torque them do I simply start the procedure again at 8 ft-lbs or do I loosen all of them and start over from scratch? The photo of the engine bay is for reference as to where the close up photos show the oil residue.

IMG_3655-1.jpg

IMG_3656-1.jpg

IMG_3657-1.jpg

I can tell you I don’t use a torque wrench here and I tighten those suckers ALOT more then 8 ft lbs!! I just snug them up and then tighten slightly more… 8 ft lbs seems low to me hahahaha and I have replaced the o rings in countless upper intake plenums no leaks

I can tell you I don’t use a torque wrench here and I tighten those suckers ALOT more then 8 ft lbs!! I just snug them up and then tighten slightly more… 8 ft lbs seems low to me hahahaha and I have replaced the o rings in countless upper intake plenums no leaks
Thank you for the reply. I am sure it is 89 in-lbs which is about 8ft lbs from research I did before I replaced the fuel rail sensor. I am just annoyed at the vacuum sound I hear at certain RPMs at the intake manifold bolts are the only thing I can think would be loose.

Have you tried a smoke test ? I went crazy looking for a vacuum leak. Smoke test pin pointed it quickly.

Back