Manual hub spindle nut installation?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual hub spindle nut installation??

chris070780

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I got my manual hub spindle nuts from 4wheelparts.com. I need a little help understanding the order that everything goes in.

Remove Auto hub nut.
Install first manual nut & TQ
Install spacer (has holes in it)
Install 2nd nut & TQ

^^
Is that the right order for the two nuts and locking key?

Do I still use the retaining clip and Steel splined trust washer??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, thats the right order. Make sure the first nut is the one with the little tit on it and make sure it is pointing out.

You also still use the splined washer and c-clip like normal.

Word of caution....watch the inner nut when you torque down the outer nut. Sometimes the spacer will slide around a little bit and in turn will cause the inner nut to tighten down more than it should and it'll put too much pressure on the wheel bearing.

Whats the tq spec on those nuts?

IIRC about 15 INCH lbs on the inner. If you do new bearing and races my book says to tghten to about 30ft lbs to seat every thing then back off and use the 15 INCH lb spec. Outside nut is 150 ft lbs.

One other thing, as mentioned watch the inner nut and the locking plate (washer with holes in it and tab). Or clean and inspect your spindle closely. If that slot in the spindle is worn or larger where the tab is you need to correct it. Replaceing the spindle is one way or you can shim the inner nut out a bit so the tab will be on a different undamaged place.

Thanks;)

Back