• Register Today It's free!

Manual Hubs or Auto Hubs

Joes4x4Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
What is the main fault with auto hubs? I have a set of manual and auto hubs and I'm seriously thinking of sticking with the factory auto hubs on my 91 XLT.

I don't do any radical rock climbing, what I'm in the most is soft "sticky" sand, steep loose gravel grades, and wash out ruts with basketball size rocks.

I'm running 31X10.50 on 3.73 gears and do have Powertrax No-Slip Lockers front and rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man i would go with the manual hubs. I had a little trouble out of my autos when i had them. Went to the manual hubs and never looked back.

My autos used to break loose when i applied pressure on them with my 31s and with the manuals they never slipped a bit.

autos wear out and manuals dont besides going out side for at most i min is worth knowing that you are positivly engaged in 4x4

auto's are a little more convenient but unfortunately for the first generation they were junk and they wear out and quit when you least expect it and can sometimes stick, my 94 when had the factory autos would sometimes stick half in 4X4 and half not so they'd be grinding. Your best bet like many others will say, Go with the Manuals

If your autos still work, ya may as well run them until they break. THEN, buy manuals. :D

Alright, I'll put my manuals on. I'm just getting a bit lazy, I do a ton of Quail hunting here in Western AZ. I'll jump out lock hubs, run a wash for a while, then back on dirt road unlock hubs drive a few miles into another wash, lock hubs ECT,ECT ECT.

Some of those washes have very soft sand that would gobble up a 2 wheel drive. I don't want to be in one of those and have my hubs screw me. Thanks for the advise guys.

You wouldnt need to unlock them on a dirt road til you hit another wash if you wanted you could just disengage the 4X4 from the push button like you do with your auto hubs but then when you get up to another wash push the button and put it in 4 wheel, it isn't really going to hurt you having the hubs locked on the dirt road without the 4X4 being engaged its just that your explorer with be pushing the front wheels a little more than normal but you shouldnt notice a difference in power.

Back