• Register Today It's free!

Manual Hubs

Vanquish502

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
91EB, 91EB, 92XLT
I found some manual hubs on an explorer today in the junkyard. I tested them there and they worked, so I bought them for 20$ a piece.

The question is what else do i need to make them work on my truck? Right now i have auto hubs that are on their way out. I have to back up like 40 feet and turn the wheels side to side to side to unlock them, and sometimes that doesnt do it.

I heard about some sort of ring nut kit or something that you have to buy to convert them.

Or do I just remove all the auto hub stuff and slide these onto the studs and put the wheel back on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Goto Advanced Auto... Ask about the 'Warn Manual hub conversion Kit"

Contains: 2 spindleNuts and 1 lockWasher (x2; for each side)

You just remove all that stuff for the auto hubs... all the way down to the outter-wheel bearing. Then replace it all with the conversion kit.

You will want to get the Hub-tool/SpindleNut-Socket for it. I believe harbor frieght will have it. Some 4x4 shops have them (Advanced auto, and 4wheelparts usually DO NOT or they will have something like it, but usually isnt the right size)

There is a pre-load torque setting you need to follow when you put on those spindleNuts. if you are running bigger then 33" tires you will need to follow it very close. If not, then you can get away with banging them on with a screw driver.

Thing is...I live in Canada and stores here are really quite crap. You'd have to go to a performance shop to get basic things like that.

How much do you think this kit runs for? Or does anyone on the forum have a kit laying around they'd be willing to sell?

Is this what you are talking about?

hubnuts.jpg

Want you need is also called a spindle nut kit you can find them on ebay for around $20-25 , the spindle nuts for a dana 44 also fit.

So do I only need whats in the picture above, or do I need the kit from warn that includes bearings and washers and all that crap?

Thats all and a spindle nut socket

Back