• Register Today It's free!

Manual Hubs

im_the_maineven

Reaction score
City, State
cambridge, ontario, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
i was at my local wrecking yard today and am looking for a replacement to my auto hubs which will not engage after being stuck in some snow. So i found a set of manuals at the wreckers..... he said they are from a 91 explorer but they arent warns and the guy said they will fit right on my current setup and will just reeplace the top piece of the auto hubs and make it a manual. They look good to me and seem like they would work but is there anything out there that is like this. a hub which i just throw on and its is a manual hub instead of automatic. Seems wierd to me after reading about all of the warn conversions.

Any help is appreciated and im sorry for such a long post.... IM NEW

Thanks again
Marshall

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only hubs that I know of that fit the X is Warn and Milemarker. You will need a converstion kit like you read about. Who is the manufacturer?

It sounds like he's talking about factory manual hubs...... BTW your autohubs maybe just Hydraulically grease bound prevening them from working.. The hubs are a dry assembly and only require a thin film of grease to prevent rust.. If you pack grease into the hub it will preload the mechanism towards the disengaged position... Check out the links in the explorer maint sec for more info..

the hubs are fine i just cleaned them out and put them back on and no difference. these factory manual hubs.... will they work with the auto hubs internals that are on the driveshafts of my truck currently ? they are from a 91 apparently and i am getting both for $90 cdn

You'll have to get the two nuts and a washer per side to make them work, that's what the 'conversion kit' is. It's a very simple change. Tell the guy to include them in the deal, as they are part of the hubs. If not, you can get them at NAPA.

How much real money is 90 cdn? Don't know if that's a good deal or not! ;) :p

Welcome to the site. :thumbsup:

hubs are working great and i did get all of the internals to convert it all.They came off of a 91 Ranger which is apparently the same but this route was a very cost effective way to save a few bucks and get the same almost identical performance as the warn manual kit but for about a third of the price.

Thanks for your help

FYI, Warn makes (or made) the manual hubs for Ford.

Glad they are working for you. Much more reliable. Make sure that you put the two nuts and washer ( with holes) on currently . Assembled correct with the Pin going thru the washer will prevent the nuts from backing off and leaving you with a sloppy Hub.

RangerX said:
You'll have to get the two nuts and a washer per side to make them work, that's what the 'conversion kit' is. It's a very simple change. Tell the guy to include them in the deal, as they are part of the hubs. If not, you can get them at NAPA.

How much real money is 90 cdn? Don't know if that's a good deal or not! ;) :p

Welcome to the site. :thumbsup:
that's about $60.00 to you plain money folks

summit racing now sells superwinch hubs for the 1st gen.

nascar_intimid said:
that's about $60.00 to you plain money folks

Actually sadly its not anymore. Its about $75 american

Back