manual tranny clunking on downshift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual tranny clunking on downshift

dynamite196

Reaction score
City, State
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
I have a 97 2 door 4wd with the 5 speed manual transmission, sporadically when I downshift I get a clunking in the drive line. The clunking isn't consistent, some days it happens frequently, some days it only happens in the morning however, once I get the first clunk, several more follow on the subsequent downshifts (10 or so). It's only one clunk per downshift. Sometimes the clunk feels like it's more towards the front of the vehicle, other times it feels more towards the back. The only consistency I've noticed is the clunk always happens on a downshift and usually into second gear, although it will clunk when downshifting into 1, 3, or 4 just not as often. The best way I can describe the clunk is a feeling of the drive shaft engaging as you let the clutch out and all of a sudden a tooth is jumped or skipped and then everything is fine. The only other thing I have to add is for a while I've noticed a lot of slack in the drive line while up-shifting and downshifting, almost like the drive shaft is slightly loose however, the clunking only started recently. Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions where to look?

im having what sounds like a very similar issue,are you having any jerking,or bucking on deceleration?i have a thread posted as well ill let you know if get anything on it

I have a 97 2 door 4wd with the 5 speed manual transmission, sporadically when I downshift I get a clunking in the drive line. The clunking isn't consistent, some days it happens frequently, some days it only happens in the morning however, once I get the first clunk, several more follow on the subsequent downshifts (10 or so). It's only one clunk per downshift. Sometimes the clunk feels like it's more towards the front of the vehicle, other times it feels more towards the back. The only consistency I've noticed is the clunk always happens on a downshift and usually into second gear, although it will clunk when downshifting into 1, 3, or 4 just not as often. The best way I can describe the clunk is a feeling of the drive shaft engaging as you let the clutch out and all of a sudden a tooth is jumped or skipped and then everything is fine. The only other thing I have to add is for a while I've noticed a lot of slack in the drive line while up-shifting and downshifting, almost like the drive shaft is slightly loose however, the clunking only started recently. Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions where to look?
U-JOINTS. If not the u-joints, then the slip joint.

appreciate the input,it was the u-joints.they were so bad that almost every cap had no needle bearings.some of them were full of rust dust,lol..thanks again

Back