Manually locking up the A4LD Torque convertor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manually locking up the A4LD Torque convertor

ShadeTreeMech

Reaction score
City, State
AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I've been trying to figure out how to manually lock up the torque convertor in my '91 Explorer, and found a good link at a sister forum:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7831
The test below was pasted from the above link:
Installing a Torque Converter lock up switch.

The lock up TC circuit is a ground switching system. The ECU grounds
the circuit to control the operation of the TC. So in order to install a
switch to force lockup all you have to do is hook up a grounding circuit.

Locate pin #53 on the ECU. They are numbered on the ECU.

Tapp into the pin #53 wire in the engine management harness.

Run a wire from the pin #53 wire to a switch, then from the other side of the
switch to a good ground. I ran mine to the negative battery terminal.

Note: Haynes manual says the wire is Pink and Yellow but mine is Orange. You can
verify the wire color by looking at the TC plug on the transmission.

Now you can control lock up. When the switch is in the on position the lock will stay
locked up regardless of engine load as long as the transmission is in 3rd or OD.

When the switch is in the off position the lock up will operated as it always did.

Note: There is no lock up in first or second. The valve body overrides it in
those ranges. Also remember to turn the switch off when comming to a stop or the
engine will lug down until the transmission drops out of 3rd gear.

I tested the correct wire on my '91 ( mine was solid white) with a multimeter on continuity mode to make sure I had the correct wire. (I put one probe on a ground and the other on the suspected wire and got the truck to 50 mph so the TC locked in.) Sure enough, I hit 3rd and the rpms dropped like crazy. At one point I was going 35 mph at 1000 rpms :D I didn't have a problem with the engine bogging down, but I do have a slight adjustment that would make it not a problem.

I would put a switch on the brake pedal so that the TC circuit is closed when the pedal is released. When you press the brake pedal, the circuit will open and the normal functions of the TC will resume.

Any thoughts?

Back