• Register Today It's free!

map sensor

blackrod

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer 5.0
I have a 1997 explorer 5.0. Its throwing a code that indicates that the MAP sensor is faulty. I was also under the impression that the 97 has no MAP sensor and that it uses the MAF sensor instead.. Can anyone confirrm or deny this. Also if there is a map sensor where is it? Bow to the experts.. time is of the essence. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know. my brother in law took it in and I forgot to get the paper work.. I will get back to you tomorrow. please keep an eye out for this post. Thanks

So if it says to replace the MAP does it actually mean replace the MAF? The part they quoted is about $260. Sounds darn expensive. What do you think?

possible DTCs

Here is a list of possible diagnostic trouble codes associated with the MAF/MAP sensor:

P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
P0104 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Intermittent
P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction
P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0107 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input
P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input
P0109 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Intermittent

I would expect to be in the P0100 to P104 range. The MAF sensor is fairly reliable. The first thing I would do is check the electrical connector to make sure it is making a good connection. The sensor element can be contaminated by oil from a new cone style oiled air filter. The sensor can be cleaned with an aerosol specific for MAF sensors that can be purchased from you local autoparts store. Do not touch the sensor as it is fragile. Just spray it and let it air dry. If you clear the DTCs and neither of the above help then check the wiring to the MAF sensor for broken or shorted wires. The last thing to do is purchase another MAF sensor.

Ford did the diagnostic so I suppose they listed the code. I ll find out tomorrow

Here is a list of possible diagnostic trouble codes associated with the MAF/MAP sensor:

P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
P0104 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Intermittent
P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction
P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0107 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input
P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input
P0109 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Intermittent

I would expect to be in the P0100 to P104 range. The MAF sensor is fairly reliable. The first thing I would do is check the electrical connector to make sure it is making a good connection. The sensor element can be contaminated by oil from a new cone style oiled air filter. The sensor can be cleaned with an aerosol specific for MAF sensors that can be purchased from you local autoparts store. Do not touch the sensor as it is fragile. Just spray it and let it air dry. If you clear the DTCs and neither of the above help then check the wiring to the MAF sensor for broken or shorted wires. The last thing to do is purchase another MAF sensor.

Hey streetrod, the code is not any of the ones listed. The code Ford gave me was P0176. I have no idea what that is. Can you help?

P0176?

Hey streetrod, the code is not any of the ones listed. The code Ford gave me was P0176. I have no idea what that is. Can you help?

Are you sure you have the correct DTC? I'm not aware of flex fuel capable Explorers in 1997.

P0176 Fuel Composition Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Fuel Composition Sensors are used to determine the amount of ethanol alcohol in the gasoline. Normally, a gasoline engine should not have more than 10% ethanol alcohol in the fuel for proper operation. Some vehicles have a Flexible Fuel (FF) system on them that allow them to run on up to 85% ethanol alcohol in the fuel. The fuel composition sensor sends a frequency modulated signal to the engine controller which is proportional to the alcohol content of the fuel. The injector pulse width and the ignition timing are modified for the increased alcohol content.

Back