• Register Today It's free!

Mass air flow sensor

bose0302

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
What's up all?

I own a 96 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD, Eddie Bauer. I was wondering where the Mass Air flow sensor is, and how do I remove it for cleaning? Pictures and instructions would be a great help.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's up all?

I own a 96 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD, Eddie Bauer. I was wonder where the Mass Air flow sensor is, and how do I remove it for cleaning? Pictures and instructions would be a great help.

Thanks

the MAF sensor is located right after the air box. you need to go to autozone, ect and get MAF cleaner and the t-20 (i think that is the size) security torx bit to unscrew the 2 screws holding it on. disconnect the battery and then the MAF sensor connector and Gently lift up on the MAF sensor. i repeat, Gently pull up. then use the MAF cleaner, spray off the MAF sensor at a reasonable distance so you dont screw up your MAF sensor. if you have electrical connector cleaner spray some of that on the MAF sensor wire harness.

next time, use the link below to check the archives before you post please. there is tons of info in them on MAF sensors.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/search.php?f=100

welcome to the forum.:salute:

Thanks for your help,

I installed an K&N air filter and then my check engine light came on after about a month or so. Some post on here said to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor because of the oil from the filter. I wish I would have known this before I installed it, or let it air dry for a few days. I don't know why when you buy these products they don't warn you of such issues. Thanks again, and I will use the link next time.

since that wire is very thin and sensitive and the spray can come out kind of hard if not careful,... spray some in a zip-loc baggie, and put the sensor in there and swish it around.

Thanks for your help,

I installed an K&N air filter and then my check engine light came on after about a month or so. Some post on here said to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor because of the oil from the filter. I wish I would have known this before I installed it, or let it air dry for a few days. I don't know why when you buy these products they don't warn you of such issues. Thanks again, and I will use the link next time.

not a problem bose.

yeah the access oil can/will start throwing codes. i usually take my MAF sensor out every time i change my oil and give it a spray of some MAF cleaner just to keep them codes away. Also when it is time to recharge (wash and re-oil) the filter i usually spray less then recommended on my filter to help w/keeping the MAF sensor clean(er)

Back