Mass Air Flow Sensor??

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
I've read the article on here about cleaning your MAF Sensor. I found it on my 92 X , the only problem is on top to open it you need a star type tool with a tiny circle in the middle of it, the star is a t-15 or t-20 , how do i get to the MAF Sensor? Please help me guys!! My RPM"s at idel are getting bad they drop frequently.
do i need a speical tool to get the top off?
let me know
thanks
ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a set of (5 bits I think) at Pep Boys. I believe Lesile tools makes then. They are called tamper proof torx bits. They are like the screwdriver hex bits that fit in a universal srewdriver handle and they have a hole in the middle of the torx for the post. I belive they were less than $10.

they are called security torx bits....

NAPA was the only place in my area that had the bits. If you can't find it at Pep Boys, then try a NAPA store.

stephen still workin on that light idea... damn its taking too long. any other cool ideas i could do also? i am putting my sport trac rims on soon.

Jas, take it one step at a time man. I'm happy to hear you are making some progress on your light. I wanna see some pictures when you get it done!!! Good luck.

security torx Bits bought @ Napa for $8.65

I did'nt need it to open my MAF. There were plain old slotted screws in there. Now I'm wondereing if ALL explorers came with the torx's or not.
If so, then someone had to open it up before I bought it .
HHHMMMMM....

BTW...make sure you use a good cleaner and reset the computer afterwords...

I just got a set of 6 or so yesterday at Advance for @ $7.
At Advance they are called tamper proof torx bits there(instead of security torx). I did the cleaning (really easy!!). My truck is running much better now and I forgot to reset the cpu. Guess I will go do that now!
Oh yeah...if you find single bits the size you will need is T-20.

I actually did mine without the torx bits. I just removed the MAS as a unit from the intake tube and airbox, removed the screen and cleaned the filliments and the MAS housing. The whole project took about 1 hour and I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor as well. The TPS was the hard part, the screws were so tight it took 30 minutes of carefull work to get them loose. My truck runs better and I got 3 additional MPG to boot.

Back