• Register Today It's free!

massive coolant leak

hitte4

Reaction score
City, State
trenton ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I have a 92 xlt 4.0 that is leaking a stream of coolant about the size of a pencil on the drivers side,back of the engine.I have tryed to look to see where it is coming from,no luck.I can feel where the coolant is coming from and it feels like it is right where the block,head, and intake join.my question is could a head gasket blow so bad as to have a stream leaking that big with no coolant in oil or coming from the exhaust.any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

leak

I would think that oil contamination would be probable if it were a HG.....but I guess its possible.....

Is there maybe a freeze plug in that area ???

leak

I've got a 93 model, and it did the same thing. Mine was the lower intake gasket.

At 185k miles our 1992 also developed a coolant leak on the rear of the drivers side of the block.. It was the head gasket... I just changed the gaskets (both sides)..

Since your going to have it apart.. might as well change the heads (or at least have them checked for cracks)..

Total time to do the work is between 13 hours and 18 hours (book time shows 13 hours)

~Mark

Back