• Register Today It's free!

massive fuel injector leak

freak

Reaction score
City, State
Pemberville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer XLS
My 2000 XLS 4.0 OHV has a massive leak at the top of one of the fuel injectors. I assume I can replace an oring and all will be well. Any tips or things to look out for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is possible that the o-ring is so old and brittle and is cracked from the heat. To replace the o-ring, you will have to remove the upper intake manifold, and the fuel rail. Since some or all of the injectors will remain in the lower intake manifold, you might as well replace all of the o-rings. When removing the injector from the lower intake manifold, be careful to not loose the pintle cap in the intake valve cavity. If your engine has many miles on it, personally I would get the injectors serviced. Makes a huge difference in engine performance and fuel economy.

I'll probably let the injectors alone since the engine runs like a top. I assume two orings per injector? I'll need an upper intake gasket? Any other gaskets?

I still would have the injectors serviced while you have it all apart. They are going to get clogged sooner or later. Even if the engine runs well, it could still benefit from cleaned injectors. Yes there are two o-rings per injector. One at the top that seats in the fuel rail and another at the bottom that seats in the lower intake manifold. If that one is so badly cracked that it leaks, you really need to replace all 12 of them. when you have the one leaking injector out, carefully examine the top of it. As for removing the injector itself, it can be a PITA if the o-rings are old and hard. Alot of twisting and perpendicular movement will be required. If you pull up at too much of an angle, you risk the pintle cap, and spacer getting lost in that intake valve cavity. I have all mine out, sent them out for servicing and should receive them back tomorrow. On one injector, I did loose the pintle cap, however, I retrieved it out with a pick. When I receive them, i will post a picture of them.

you will need 3 gaskets, the lower intake manifold gasket (sandwiched between the lower intake manifold and the fuel rail), the upper intake manifold gasket, and the throttle body gasket. Because of the EGR, it is virtually impossible to remove the upper intake manifold without removing the throttle body.

You WILL need the green O-Ring for the EGR pipe..

you will need 3 gaskets, the lower intake manifold gasket (sandwiched between the lower intake manifold and the fuel rail), the upper intake manifold gasket, and the throttle body gasket. Because of the EGR, it is virtually impossible to remove the upper intake manifold without removing the throttle body.

I have removed the upper intake on my 4 liter numerous times and never removed the throttle body...I have replaced the 3 pair of black gaskets that fit inside the plastic upper plenum, the flat gasket that fits between the lower intake and the fuel rail, and the EGR pipe o-ring...When you replace the injector o-rings, remember to lubricate the o-rings when you install them to the injectors and when you install the injectors into the lower intake and the fuel rail...These are 2 spots where the injector o-rings can get damaged if they are dry... I usually use a light coating of grease on the o-rings on the injectors as well as the EGR pipe o-ring...

And chances are the EGR o-ring will be a dealership only item...The part number is F67Z-9J469-AA...

Here's a tip that might save some grief:
When reinstalling the injectors, install them all in
the fuel rail first, then fit the assembly into the
lower intake manifold. This is much easier than
trying to fit the fuel rail onto the injectors (if
fitted into the lower manifold first).

Be sure to lube the O-rings. I used Petrol-Gel but
dielectric grease or even Vaseline will work.

I have removed the upper intake on my 4 liter numerous times and never removed the throttle body...I have replaced the 3 pair of black gaskets that fit inside the plastic upper plenum, the flat gasket that fits between the lower intake and the fuel rail, and the EGR pipe o-ring...When you replace the injector o-rings, remember to lubricate the o-rings when you install them to the injectors and when you install the injectors into the lower intake and the fuel rail...These are 2 spots where the injector o-rings can get damaged if they are dry... I usually use a light coating of grease on the o-rings on the injectors as well as the EGR pipe o-ring...

And chances are the EGR o-ring will be a dealership only item...The part number is F67Z-9J469-AA...

Do yo have the OHV or SOHC? The EGR pipe comes into the intake manifold from the driver side and then once inside makes a 90 degree turn towards the front of the intake. So you have to rotate the manifold counterclockwise looking down. I believe when I did it, the AC compressor was in the way, but looking back, I might have been able to remove the compressor and be clear. But then I would have to recharge my AC. How did you remove yours?

Here's a tip that might save some grief:
When reinstalling the injectors, install them all in
the fuel rail first, then fit the assembly into the
lower intake manifold. This is much easier than
trying to fit the fuel rail onto the injectors (if
fitted into the lower manifold first).

Be sure to lube the O-rings. I used Petrol-Gel but
dielectric grease or even Vaseline will work.

Good tips Runnin'OnEmpty. But I would discourage use of any grease thicker than oil. Because if one is not careful and accidentally gets that grease in the injector opening, it will clog the internal injector filter. I usually just use clean motor oil.

My Explorer 4 liter is an OHV...

Do yo have the OHV or SOHC? The EGR pipe comes into the intake manifold from the driver side and then once inside makes a 90 degree turn towards the front of the intake. So you have to rotate the manifold counterclockwise looking down. I believe when I did it, the AC compressor was in the way, but looking back, I might have been able to remove the compressor and be clear. But then I would have to recharge my AC. How did you remove yours?

And yes the EGR pipe does come into the intake from the drivers side but my EGR pipe goes straight into the intake...I haven't removed the A/C compressor either... Not to remove the upper intake...I have unbolted the compressor when I removed the engine and replaced it with my built unit but I didn't discharge the a/c on that either...

This is a picture of when I was reattaching the upper intake to the new engine after installation... Inside the black circle is my EGR pipe going into the upper and the A/C compressor is in place...

Attachments

• P5040152EGR.jpg
    P5040152EGR.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 352

These sure don't look like orings! Were they and they got deformed or were they some special seal that it's ok to replace with an oring?

bT7gjbw.jpg

Just deformed...probably hard as a rock.

The tops ones were all very soft. The bottom more like hard rubber but not brittle.

Everything is done and I'm back running. Thanks everyone!!!

[MENTION=74548]freak[/MENTION], that one in the picture doesn't have an o-ring on the bottom. did you remove it before you took the picture?

There's an oring. It's severely deformed and I've circled it in green. The oring doesn't go in the groove I've crossed out with red.

6Vt3ssy.png

I recently did an intake manifold on a grand marquis (which would be the same as a 2002+ v8 ex) and one of the injectors had a hole in the lower metal! The old ring was sealing it but when reinstalled with new orings it leaked like a sieve. There are special kits that renew the wear parts on injectors (bottom nylon and upper filters).

[MENTION=74548]freak[/MENTION], wow I thought that was the pintle cap! I was going to post pictures of mine, but I do not have an elite membership. [MENTION=7538]ranger7ltr[/MENTION], the upper intake manifold on my 96 OHV looks different than yours, particularly where the egr attaches. on mine it is just a large round hole on the manifold. Was this a change from 96 to 97?

[MENTION=7538]ranger7ltr[/MENTION], never mind. I was looking at your IAC attachment. I see the egr pipe now. So your egr pipe doesn't point towards the throttle plate inside the manifold? I wonder if mine is supposed to be like that. It doesn't make sense that it would point towards the front caking the backside of the throttle plate with gunk.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[MENTION=191074]Themightyquinn[/MENTION]... You don't need an elite membership to post pictures. Just use imgur.com and put the link in your message via the "insert image" button above.

Back