• Register Today It's free!

Matching amp to sub...

hrbib21

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited 5.0
If I have a sub that's 300 watts rms, should I be getting an amp that does the same? Or, if the sub takes a peak of 900 watts, could I get an amp that is 900 watts rms? I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly or not???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You want to match RMS closely as possible and you want the sub peak to be larger than the amp peak. You also want to match the sub ohms to the amp ohms. Equal ohms gives the optimum power.

It depends on what you are using your sub for. If it is a daily driver than you will want to get an amp that will push out 300 watts RMS at whatever ohm you have your sub wired to. The 900 watts is peak, which means that for comps or very short periods of time it can take 900 watts. For example: I have a Resonant Engineering 12 SE. Spec says it handles 600 RMS, but I've read about people pushing 1600 watts to it for comps. You also need to remember that a lot of different things affect actual output of an amp. I suggest buying something that puts out 400-500 RMS and just keep your gains down.

That's what I was thinking. The amp I'm looking at is 350 rms bridged, so that should do the trick.

I have a Rockford Power (power = more efficient, not that amps are efficient anyway) 500a2 500 watts bridged mono amp. It's hooked up to a single JL 10W6wired at 3ohms, which is rated at 300W RMS, 600W max. I have the gains flat and have no problem with this setup. If you go bigger, just play with the gains man. I bought the 500a2 so I would have room to upgrade in the future if I ever desired ;-)

Back