MAX AC not blowing cold at idle and.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAX AC not blowing cold at idle and....

fooey

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
AC not blowing cold at idle and....when giving it gas, say when moving from one red light to another, if on MAX AC, it seems as if the WOT mechanism to cutout the compressor is activating when there is no WO to the T....

I can't recall, but on the AC control panel, are they still controlled by, on a 96, vacuum?

Wondering as I have had that bezel off a couple of times in the recent past and wondering if I knocked something loose or is this situation of pre-mature compressor cutout normal or a normal issue or....????

The odd thing is if I put it on norm, I think it is norm, one notch back from MAX, it works just like you would expect, blows colder at idle and seems to only cutout on WOT when you have WOT...????

Probably want to post in the AC section of "under the hood".... but probably the first question is "how do you know its the WOT switch?"..... but I suspect that you have a clogged expansion tube. At idle, your "suck rate" is low and as a result, your pressure switch isn't kicking in to cut out your compressor. As you "rev up" (even less than WOT), the "suck rate" increases as the system "spins" faster. Eventually causing the system to cutoff. You can test the theory by shorting the "low pressure" switch which will take it out of the circuit.... to see if the compressor stays energized thru your "throttle up".

Put some gauges on it you may have a low charge.

Yeah, I would put the gauges on it first. If you don't have any, most auto part stores do and will check it for you. If you're low on freon then when idleing what little freon you do have isn't being pushed through your evaporator fast enough to cool the air down. Sometimes it can be fixed by buying a can at the auto parts store. I use the one with the seal lubricant. If that doesn't fix it I would have take somewhere that specializes in auto a/c.

Back