AC not blowing cold | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC not blowing cold

If the clutch is working, you should be able to hear it clicking in. Coolant could be low or possible an A/C line leak. Let us know what the dealer finds. Thanks.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I'll verify function of AC clutch prior to taking to dealer. It's my son's vehicle so I hardly drive it anymore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

heard back from the dealer:

"Here's where we are @ on the Explorer... There is no freon in the system. We added dye to the system and traced the leak down to the lines that run to the back for the rear climate control. These lines are almost the length of the entire vehicle. The cradle has to be dropped to get them out. The system will then need to be evacuated and then recharge and also will require and alignment with moving the entire subframe. Bottom line total is $1822.01. "

And to think that I was suckered into buying yet another one back in Dec'17, what the hell was I thinking???

If you take it to an independent, you can get it done for about half the cost. Unfortunately being 9 years old, you roll the dice on what can go wrong.

Also, I believe some members have had the lines to the rear unit capped so that you only have the front A/C working. Not sure if that might be an option.

Peter

So we have a 15. Wife didn't complain but it's been 90+ the last few weeks and driving in it, I can tell for sure the air isn't cold. It's blowing well enough and strong so I tested the pressure and it's in the green zone. I did notice the coolant was about 3 or 4 inches below the cold level after the car had been idle for 4 hours or so.

Thoughts on anything else to check or do before taking her in? I'm going to top off the coolant regardless.

Have you noticed any puddles under the vehicle? Could be it is low on refrigerant due to a leak in the system. The most important question would be why is the coolant level that low? I suggest that you pull the dipstick and check the oil for any possible contamination. Hopefully it isn't this; Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

Have you noticed any puddles under the vehicle? Could be it is low on refrigerant due to a leak in the system. The most important question would be why is the coolant level that low? I suggest that you pull the dipstick and check the oil for any possible contamination. Hopefully it isn't this; Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

So wife drove again this morning, car sat and I checked for drips and nothing but a/c condensation underneath and a/c pressure is in the green, not low. I too am worried that the coolant just "disappeared". Dips stick and oil cap look good, no milky residue. I'm topping off the coolant and will see if that helps with the a/c and will of course monitor the levels. Will also ask the wife to watch the temp on the dash.

Back