Max Tire size on 2007 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Max Tire size on 2007 explorer?

FischerH1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer EB V8
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum tire size is I could fit on 18'' rims with stock suspension. The 235/65r18 s I have on now don't fill out the well very nicely. I was thinking maybe 265/60r18 or maybe even 265/65r18 if you guys think they would fit without rubbing. Any advice is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bigger rubber like that will likely have an effect on gas millage you won't like. A lot more weight. Going to 65R makes sense to get more rubber between the road and rim but going out that wide (265) may even exceed the rim spec's Clearances still need to be there for dips and turns. See what others say but its a lot of money to fill in the fenders if it don't work out.

265/60/18 will fit. Many have done it.

i have 265/60/18 duratracs on mine right now.

They rub at full turn and the gas mileage is around 14.5L/100kms combined.

Never get stuck though!

Wide tire are never very good in snow as the patch is quite wide. I was looking at the standard size which ours is equipped with Blizzax rubber. I can claw in some situation slipping looking for traction. Might have a cool look but something to consider.

Tripplec is right. My avenger with Goodyear Nordic snow tires handles the ice much better than the sploder does with the Duratracs... and I've driven 2 summers on the Nordicspot so they aren't 100% either

I run 255/65/18 on a 2007 explorer. No rubbing and no noticeable decrease in fuel economy.

More importantly (in my opinion) than gas mileage is speedometer accuracy. Yes, you will be coming out ahead by having your odometer showing less miles than you actually drive, but a few speeding tickets will easily offset the price of a few less miles.

In my offroad vehicle with lift kit/ big tires/ etc., I use "gps speedometer" app on my phone to calculate my land speed.

I can't vouch for clearance issues! Sorry if my response was a tangent from what you are looking for.

- Joe

Back