May 19th Trail cleanup ride in VA

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
FOr those of you in DC, MD, and VA. The Off Camber crawlers is doing a trail clean up run on May 19th. We will be cleaning Old Long Run and maybe old rt 33( depends on turnout) in the George Washington National Forest outside Harrisonburg.

This is an official OCC run with both members and guests invited so all can come- no restrictions on vehicle types either. There will be Jeeps, Chevys, Fords IH s etc.

Meeting points are rt 66 and 234 (outside DC) at 8am, and at McDormans store at 9:45am in Harrisonburg. We will be eating on the trail so bring a lunch.

I will be going and wondered if any other from the Explorer board want to go. Just post here and I will sign you up and make sure your on the update list.

It will be a work and ride day- we will run the trails as we go and pick up and clean up all that we see. Depending on time there may be a run in the afternoon if we get finished, and there may be some who stay to run on sun but nothing definate yet.

I would encourage anyone who wants to come to come and do a little work, run a trail, talk wheeling, bs, eat, do a good deed, a good group will make the work part go quickly.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Steve,

Sounds good - sign me up! It's time for my youngest to come along for a ride (Sarah, age 6) so I'll have a helper of sorts. I'll be in the Ranger again, so I can help haul trash, as well.

I got on the OCC website briefly after our last outing and conversation. I'd like to join up - should I do that on line or at the clean-up run?

For those that missed the last run, this is a good chance to get out on the same trails. I did one of these clean-up runs with Steve and his group a couple of months ago and it was a good outing. Picking up the trash didn't slow us down too much - still got in lots of good wheelin'.

Sorry guys,
Saturday is soccer day. I'm asst. coach this season and I already will be missing three games prior to that date because of my job; no way a can also skip on the 19th.
A pitty; me and my boys would have loved to come. They really loved the trash picking last year and as Paul said, there was still a lot of time for some good wheeling.

Maybe I can come, maybe not...

I will TRY to be able to make it, but things don't look too good. Me and my boss at work HAVE NOT been getting along very well recently and the chances of me getting another Saturday off are slim to none. If I can get the day off I'll definitely be there.
You guys know what my Explorer is like, can I handle these trails also?

John you wont haver a problem, they are very similar trails to the Kephart trails we ran in March. Be glad to have you along- let me know closer to the date if you can get the time off.

Michael catch you next time- in your new Jeep!

Paul, I think you need to go to one meeting before membership- you have (or will have ) two events. Check the site for requirements, and then sign up for the mail list and do an intro. Glad you can come along. You want to meet in H-burg or outside DC? We meet at 234 and 66 if so- let me know- no hurry.

Anyone else?? I know its a ways off but give s you time to plan!!

update

Sorry I havent posted update sooner but here is the plan, copied from an E-mail I sent to the club with some quick editing:
Ok- on Sat We (Off Camber Crawlers) are having the trail clean up run to Old Long Run Road in
the
GWNF outside Harrisonburg. Everyone is invited to participate. Members
and
guests, this will be an offical club run so it will count to membership
requirements and waivers etc will be collected. If you need them please
print
them and bring them to the meeting point on Sat. Keith and I will have
some
extras just in case.

Meet at the Wendys prking lot gassed and ready to go 7:45a leaving at
8am.
For those of you that are going to meet us at Mc Dormans we should
arrive
Harrisonburg 9:45a or so, head out 10am. Pack a lunch and some snacks
:we
will eat lunch on the trail around 1 after getting some( hopefully all)
of
the work done, and those who wish can run down either Second Mtn or
Dictum
ridge. The meeting place in Harrisonburg has gas and food if you need
supplies.

We are going to clean up Old Long Run. There is some tree trimming to
be
done, there is also a large dumping area between FR72 and OLR that we
didnt
get to take care of last trip, plus the along the trail accumulated
trash we
need to remove.

My plan is to go in three or four groups ( depending on who shows up)
one to
tackle the trimming, one or two to tackle the larger dumping area(
hopefully
2, one from above on FR72, one from OLR), and one to sweep the trail.

If you have questions or want to come along just respond to this thread, or e-mail me also Paul, John, please update so I know who to wait for
and
where.

Thanks

Steve,

I've been out of the loop for awhile - between Soccer X3, helping coach for one of those, travel at work, and night class twice a week, I haven't had much time to get on line.

I should still be on - need to re-check with the boss and fiddle with the truck a little, but shouldn't be a problem. I'll think about the meeting point and get back to you before Friday. I'm leaning towards meeting up with you at the 234/66 meeting point - is it the old 234 exit (in town) or the new 234 by-pass? I didn't realize they put in the by-pass and it threw me off a little last time through there...

I'll try to get on the OCC website prior to the run and check on all that as well.

Thanks,
Paul

Sorry, can't make it.

It turns out that this Saturday is the date of the prom for the local high school. All of the gas pumpers where I work are going to the prom so some of us cashiers have to step down for a day and work for them. I asked yesterday when the boss made the schedule and he told me there was no way I could get off when we will already be 4 short to start with.

Maybe next time.

BTW, I never could find anybody who would let me use borrow their scanner to scan the pictures from March. Still looking for one though...

Exit 47

Paul

I dont know if its the old or the bypass 234, I know it as exit 47 off 66, Ill check on the route number. Glad to hear you can still make it.

John-
catch you next time- have fun working- or at least as much fun as you can.!

Originally posted by SteveVB
John-
catch you next time- have fun working- or at least as much fun as you can.!
Ha Ha...:rolleyes: I will be pumping gas for all the lazy people from 12 noon to 12 midnight. Loads of fun...:(

Trail clean-up

SteveVB,
Sounds like fun.I was looking for something to do on Sat. and this sounds like it would fit the bill. I live in Sterling Va. and the location off of 66 is only about an half hour from my home. So count me in. Just let me know when your going to be at McDormans' store and what kind of stuff you would like me to bring for the clean up. My e-mail is darknight@i95.com. Seeya.

Darknight

Steve,

I'm going to plan on meeting you at the Wendy's parking lot, Route 234 - I-66 interchange at 0745 tomorrow. It's a little out of the way meeting there, but will probably be easier in the long run. If I have any problems getting myself or my 6-year old daughter moving in the morning, I'll head for McDorman's store in Harrisonburg. So, if I'm not at Wendy's in time, don't wait for me...

I've got a soccer party later that night, so I may leave early. However, if we're having fun, which I highly suspect will be the case, we may just blow that off and let momma take the boys to the soccer deal.

Darknight - I think you may be a little confused on the meeting places (or just a typo). You may want to go back through Steve's posts, but the way I read it is as follows:

7:45 meeting is in Wendy's parking lot, Rte 234 and I-66
9:45 meeting is at McDorman's store, Harrisonburg, VA, Rte 33 off of I-81

See everyone tomorrow...

Paul

See you tomorrow

Paul, Joe, see you guys tomorrow. Ill be in my Red K2500.

Wendys at 7:45a ( or Paul at McDormans if no show)

Anyone else show at the meeting points or shoot me an E-mail for directions.

Steve -

I'm not going to make this run. My daughter has come down with some sort of stomach flu. I'd hoped it was just something she ate earlier in the day, but it hasn't gotten better. She couldn't come along in the condition she's in and I can't justify leaving a sick one and two others with momma while I go play.

Sorry for the late notice - I'll try to catch the next run.

It's raining good down here - should be some good mud if the GW is getting some of this. I hate that I'll miss it...

Paul

trail clean-up

it's raining like a mother here, and i hope it's raining like this in the GWF.

Paul, sorry you can't make this run, hope your daughter is feeling better.

Steve, I'll see you in the morning at the Wendys

Darknight

Preliminary report

Heres a report I posted to the OCC list about the clean up run, I will be posting another more detailed report tomorrow( hopefully)
Really appreciate Joes (Darknight) work with a chainsaw clearing some debris from Old Long Run, hes got a nice Ex also- my son was envious. Thought some of you may want to read my post:

It Rained
21 vehicles participated
It rained
we split into 5 groups
It rained.
we cleaned and trimmed until 1pm.
It continued to rain.
we managed to get the 5 groups back together, and send 5 trucks to the dump loaded with close to 2 tons of trash collected from Old long run and Rt 33.
It rained.
The main group-plus a late arrival- ran up OLR to the ATV lot and ate lunch.
it rained.
some of us left.
It rained.
the rest ran down Second Mtn road and met with the trucks from the Dump playing in the Mud(minus one who took a shortcut and ended up at the ATV lot with the main group??)
It rained.
The entire group ran down Second Mtn to rt 33.
Some more of us left, and about 8 vehicles checked out a trail across the Dry River- a fairly tight( for someone driving a FS P/U), muddy (no kidding) trail. Its on par with Kephart (less the waterfall at the end)
It stopped raining and we went home...

BIG THANKS to everyone who participated to make this happen- we accomplished all we set out to do, in spite of the rain. We cleaned up the dumping site visible from OLR, we cleaned up along OLR on the private property, we cleared some fallen trees from OLR, we cleaned along Old Rt 33. Special thanks to the truck owners Mike Erickson, Todd Fisher, Bob Jeager (CORE)for running the trash to the landfill( and Bill Haegle for showing us where it was since the map was at the top of the trail with Keith, and the trash was at the bottom!).

I will post a more detailed report tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again everyone

Steve VB
OCC Land Use Liason
91 Navajo
91 K2500

SteveVB

I was thinking of you guys on Saturday and was hoping you would have better weather than we had in Richmond. It seams you did not :( . 5 pick-ups full of trash? :eek: You guys did a heck of a job!! How many tires this time? Any old washing machines?

My Explorer is gone (still have the Safari bar ;) ), but my Jeep got a nice set of BFG MTs this week-end. I'm not ready for some custom-pinestriping yet, but I guess soon a will be :D

no washing machines!

No washing machines, but we did get 3 refrigerators, two beds, 3 or 4 tires and a gas grill!!

Michael- those first pin stripes are the hardest!! after that you dont think about them much!

The new( to me anyway) trail is nice not difficult but similar to OLR winds down through and across the Dry River a few times and in and out of a couple of creeks leading to the river. It would be fine for a Jeep Grand with minimal pin striping.

Thanks for the thoughts though- hope to catch up with you on the trail sometime this summer.

va clean up

Steve,
Just wanted to let you know that it was nice to meet you and the other members of OCC and that I had a great time. My wife and the two boys had a great time as well. I went out with Keith, Charles and his nephew, and Paul and his two boys. They where a very nice group of guys to go out with. I even let the wife drive down a few of those trails and she absolutely loved driving over stuff. I think she understands now my passion for this kind of stuff. I would like to keep up with OCC and it's doings so let me know more about membership.

Darknight

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back