GWNF harrisonburg VA Aug 10 Trail clean up run | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GWNF harrisonburg VA Aug 10 Trail clean up run

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
Anyone in MD, VA, WVA can come its an open ride and a good time, cleaning and some trail riding: From Off Camber Crawlers:
-----------------------------------------------
What? Clean-up Run
When? Saturday, August 10, 2002
Leave from? Wendy's Manassas (Exit 47B) 8:00am
Other info? Bring lunch to eat on the trail, camera, usual trail
safety and recovery items. Bring plastic bags for trash
Attire? Dress to work (boots, old clothes, gloves)

It's time to get out and clean up our adopted trails in the George
Washington National Forest. I will be making a pre-run to assess the
amount of trash to be recovered. This pre-run will be July 27. I
will be staying at Brandywine Campground on Friday night and running
the trails on Saturday.

I would like to schedule the clean-up run for Saturday, August 10th
if there are no conflicts. We need a large group of folks to
participate so that we can get the work done and still get in some
quality 'wheeling.

I need three volunteers -
- driver with full-sized 4WD pickups (2) for dump runs
- driver of any vehicle to muster group in Manassas at Wendy's (I
will most likely be camping at Brandywine on the 10th)

On the day of the clean up, we'll break up into a couple groups and
tackle the trails - so I would like a few people who know the trails
who can lead and tail-gun on of the groups. People who know where
the dump is located are a plus.

I also need a volunteer to recruit a "friendly" member of the press
to join us on this outing. I want someone who is impartial to our
sport but would suggest that candidates be willing to spend a day in
a hot, stiff truck, get dirty and eat trail food.

This will count as a official run and count towards membership.

Any questions? Post them here for all to see!
---------------------------------------------------------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Off-CamberCrawlers/database?method=reportRows&tbl=16

if you cant get to that page post here and I can let the leader know whos coming. I you want more info post here or e-mail me. As of now Ill be going. (I live in MD and meeting in Manassas Va for the ride down- almost 2 hrs from Manassas I think, we are meeting at Mc Dormans outside Harrisonburg before hitting the trails.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Steve, I'll see if I can make it. It will be the first weekend my wife and the boys are back from vacation so I don't know.

I will be at GWNF this weekend with a bunch of Jeepers, I wonder which trails still are open, I got pretty contradictory information. And I will also pre-clean if I see some stuff laying around ;)

Michael

Yea I saw the JU post about it.

You'll have company, A few people from OCC will be down there this weekend, they are planning to run Dry river, and Kephart. Looks to be Jeeps and Zuks.

Hope you can make it on the 10th- you let your wife and kids go on vacation without you? Wow! you're a hard working - really nice husband/dad :)

Leave some for us to pick up ;)

I just came back from GWNF. Looks like it will be more a wheeling trip on the 10th rather than a clean up. Log run looks clean except an old TV laying at the beginning of the trail (too big to already clean it out & TV programm was kind of boring :D), Dictum lower part looks clean, Second Mountain was locked with two gates and Kephart we did not run anymore. The "dirtiest" trail was Dry River, specially around the various camp spots.

The run was good and the weather was OK until mid-afternoon on Saturday; then it became "campers nightmare". Scattered showers; my word! Where is the expression "happy camper" coming from anyhow. :confused: Well, I'm in the process of drying up, and soon, I will be ready to go again. :D

Steve -

Not sure if I can make it on the 10th as I'm currently scheduled to be in Norfolk that weekend. Are you going to be on the pre-run (Jul 27)? That may actually be a better weekend for me.

One of these days I'll get on the OCC website and work on a membership package. It's been very busy here lately, but maybe if I can make this run...
Hopefully I'll see you out there.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul N.
Steve -

Not sure if I can make it on the 10th as I'm currently scheduled to be in Norfolk that weekend. Are you going to be on the pre-run (Jul 27)? That may actually be a better weekend for me.
Paul

Hmmm, I'm still "bachelor-on-time" on the 27th. ;) No restrictions on that date :D

What kind of vehicles are expected for the prerun? I may consider going, but would not want to hold up any big dawgs with my not so capable truck.

Man, I head back to school the next day (harrisonburg). I would love to go, but I won't have anyplace to put my junk if I don't do 16 hour turnaround trip back and forth a few times. I don't know, maybe I could work something out. Or, we could schedule a nice run sometime in Sept, Oct, or Nov...You never know.

Pre run, on the 27th I can t make- Ill be in PA visiting my sister. Sounds like you have 2 or 3 right here though so you guys could get together. Paul, Michael( the temporary bachelor!) and John.

The vehicles are stock to mild - so shouldnt be any hold ups if you go John. Check the data base on the OCC site for the prerun. Big Dawgs are found infrequently in the forest - no challenges. Which brings up... my goal is to get to BiG Dogs the event they hold a few times a year in Gore VA. Supposed to be best wheeling on the east. Trails from mild to undoable! I have had conflicts with the dates so far but some day....

Like Michael said, from recent reports it appears that some of the big trash dumps we have tackled in the past have not reappeared. Memebers of the club have been down the last few weekends and are reporting light trash so it may be more trail riding than cleaning at this point.

VBVA -Well I know Ill be down again in the fall if you cant make it this time, Im planning to get out more this fall- I just have too much going on right now, and I have some work to do on the Navajo- gears and rear bumper. .

SteveVB - I go to school at JMU, so its a quick shot for me to meet you anywhere around the GWNF. Just let me know whats going on anytime this fall or winter and we could work out a nice run. Wish I could go with you guys this time...

Originally posted by SteveVB
Pre run, on the 27th I can t make- Ill be in PA visiting my sister. Sounds like you have 2 or 3 right here though so you guys could get together. Paul, Michael( the temporary bachelor!) and John.

Let me know if you want to go on Saturday, 27th!! I wheeled the last two Saturdays and I'm just in the mood for some more!!!

Good luck with big dawgs, Steve. I've heared a lot of good things about it.

Sorry I could not make it, but it was te first weekend my family was back. Good write-up.

Back