May be Rejoining the Explorer community next week... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

May be Rejoining the Explorer community next week...

Bingo...

I'd walk in with $1000 in cash, drop it on the dude's desk and tell him today is his lucky day. That would be my top dollar for this situation - leaves you enough room to buy just about anything at the junkyard and still come out at or under book value.
+1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bingo...

I'd walk in with $1000 in cash, drop it on the dude's desk and tell him today is his lucky day. That would be my top dollar for this situation - leaves you enough room to buy just about anything at the junkyard and still come out at or under book value.

You have a good point. I've been texting with the salesman, but not with my actual name......

Maybe I take on a new identity (so he doesn't remember our prior talks) and show up in person with $1200 (1000 offer and 200 wiggle room), ask to see it (just to make sure it's actually in good physical shape), and then offer $1k when I 'discover' that it doesn't start. Willing to go up $200, or walk away.

If you're gonna do that, stop talking to him and wait a couple weeks. That way he doesn't think a second person is interested and use "you" to say that he's "had a lot of people asking about it lately." I've had them try that game with me before.

If you're gonna do that, stop talking to him and wait a couple weeks. That way he doesn't think a second person is interested and use "you" to say that he's "had a lot of people asking about it lately." I've had them try that game with me before.

I haven't talked to him in 2 weeks - but i'm familiar with that "had a lot of people ask" tactic. And I always reply with "well, funny how none of those people are standing here with cash, are they?"

It's especially effective when a car has been sitting on a lot for multiple months, like this one.

Love it! Good response.

I haven't talked to him in 2 weeks - but i'm familiar with that "had a lot of people ask" tactic. And I always reply with "well, funny how none of those people are standing here with cash, are they?"

It's especially effective when a car has been sitting on a lot for multiple months, like this one.
Writing that one down for later...

I have a 94 XLS 180K in just as good shape, or maybe better as it runs well. I did have to replace the fuel pump several years ago. And check the plastic air duct that runs over the radiator. Mine had a factory defect that caused a hole to wear into it and it played havoc with the MAF sensor readings. It's been an excellent vehicle.

With that set of factory manuals in the back seat you'd think they'd be able to fix it!:crazy: After 30+ years as a Ford technician I long for the days when things were nice and simple like our first generation Explorers!!

Bingo...

+2. Looks clean. But priced significantly over Blue Book and it does not run? And they have a mechanic.... I would fear the worst. Maybe ask about any sort of warranty for the transmission or 4x4 equipment.... which will not exist. This dealer probably already knows you are too interested.

But good luck. And it does look clean!

+2. Looks clean. But priced significantly over Blue Book and it does not run? And they have a mechanic.... I would fear the worst. Maybe ask about any sort of warranty for the transmission or 4x4 equipment.... which will not exist. This dealer probably already knows you are too interested.

But good luck. And it does look clean!

Agreed. They absolutely know that I'm too interested, it's my own fault. I also know that anything over $1k is probably overpaying, but to be honest, I am comfortable going a bit high considering that it's a really inexpensive vehicle overall, and it has a full documented history and doesn't need any body work or paint. I HATE body work.

This is a nostalgia buy for me. I grew up with a XLT, and have a lot of great and stupid memories from that car. My goal for a long time has been to find a super clean XLT that I can polish, tinker with, and make into one of the nicest looking factory-spec 'survivor' cars in the country, and I think this one has the potential for it. The Red on Red + 4x4 w/ Limited Slip (D4) is what really pulls me to it.

I don't intend to flip this one, I'll just hold on to it - so paying a couple extra hundred bucks will feel less painful as time goes on and I enjoy it more.

I'm heading up on tuesday to do final inspection and make the final offer, and see what we come up with.

Hope you do well and wish you the best. Certainly could be a clean “survivor” ...... I am sure you will soon be rejoining the Explorer Community.

Good luck!!!

The true value of a car is what you are willing to pay. If I could see it run on starting fluid I'd give $1500-2000 cause of how clean it is.

Nice job

Sweet! Do the normal tuneup stuff on it - plugs, fuel filter, etc...see if that clears up your idle.

As far as the 4-low shift goes - try shifting into 4 low in neutral, sometimes the t-case gets bound up a little and it needs to move slightly for it to shift into low range.

I have had the RABS valve leak on several trucks. It's right past the fuel filter on the driver's side frame. They don't leak a lot but enough to cause a weak brake pedal. Rule that out while you're looking at things... if it's leaking, you can disassemble and clean it, replace it completely, or bypass it with a union and leave the valve in place and plugged in so that your ABS light isn't on.

Well done! Who cares what you paid - - enjoy the vehicle. Cool that you are keeping it in "survivor" mode and OEM.

Paul

Sweet! Do the normal tuneup stuff on it - plugs, fuel filter, etc...see if that clears up your idle.

As far as the 4-low shift goes - try shifting into 4 low in neutral, sometimes the t-case gets bound up a little and it needs to move slightly for it to shift into low range.

I have had the RABS valve leak on several trucks. It's right past the fuel filter on the driver's side frame. They don't leak a lot but enough to cause a weak brake pedal. Rule that out while you're looking at things... if it's leaking, you can disassemble and clean it, replace it completely, or bypass it with a union and leave the valve in place and plugged in so that your ABS light isn't on.

I tried shifting into 4 low while in neutral but stationary, i'll try neutral at a 1-2 mph roll to see if that helps.

Interesting that you mention the Rear ABS. When I picked it up, the "REAR ANTILOCK" light was on.....I added brake fluid and it went away, but I'm curious if you might be on to something there. This week I'm focusing on cleaning and polishing, mechanical stuff starts next week and I'll let you know what I find!

Nice truck. Brings back old memories of my 91 Explorer.

Back