May be Rejoining the Explorer community next week... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

May be Rejoining the Explorer community next week...

BoostedE21

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Re-introducing myself....it's been about 10 years since I had my last Explorer, but that may soon change. Next week, I'm going to check out a beautiful XLT 4x4. It's red on red (how cool!) and cosmetically looks extremely sharp.

If I do purchase it, my plan is to keep it 100% factory, do a full interior and exterior detail including a cut and polish, get everything working, and use it around town and when visiting sites for work.

More details to come next week...I'll let everyone know how negotiations go!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that is really clean:chug:

Wasn't there another really nice red one posted earlier this year? Curious... This one's great, I really like to see them like this, clean but not too clean... you can't find a vehicle like that in my area. I'll make a blind bet the problem is the fuel pump. Well done!

Nice ride welcome back

Wasn't there another really nice red one posted earlier this year? Curious... This one's great, I really like to see them like this, clean but not too clean... you can't find a vehicle like that in my area. I'll make a blind bet the problem is the fuel pump. Well done!

Agreed - this one has 144k miles, lived its life as the family vehicle for its one owner with very consistant annual mileage over the last 30 years, and they just kept it super clean. So, it's not so perfect that I'd hesitate to drive it, but it's still extremely sharp with very low wear.

The fuel pump certainly could be the issue. The mechanic at the dealer said he thought it was injectors, but I rarely ever hear about those truly failing... It 'ran when they got it,' but it was a little rough, and now it doesn't start. So, my bet would be on fuel pump too. I'll have to investigate how to check it, but once that happens, drop the tank, swap, and go!

I'm curious what the sale price is?

Omg it is sooooooo nice and clean!!!!!

Ethanol fuel is the devil it will take out pumps and injectors!! Take a rubber mallet/dead blow hammer and smack the bottom of the fuel tank to see if it starts.

It's at a small used truck dealer, and they're asking $2700. That's too much for a non-running car, even in such pristine physical condition. Lots of risk in not being able to see if the 4x4, AC, suspension, etc are all in good working order. They originally had it listed for $3,900 in "runs, but not super well" condition - so they have come down, but I think there needs to be more to give.

So, I'm going to try to negotiate them down a bit. I know the true value is pretty low, but I'm willing to overpay a little bit for nostalgia's sake.

Ethanol fuel is the devil it will take out pumps and injectors!! Take a rubber mallet/dead blow hammer and smack the bottom of the fuel tank to see if it starts.

Interesting, because the on-site mechanic mentioned that he thought the injectors were the issue. I hadn't heard of Ford EFI injectors failing very often, so I kind of blew it off and assumed it would be the fuel pump or something more serious.

If they know you are interested, they won't budge too much. Kinda like the old country song, they got the goldmine, you got the shaft...

If they know you are interested, they won't budge too much. Kinda like the old country song, they got the goldmine, you got the shaft...

Well, then I won't buy it! They offered 2700 a couple weeks ago, and I said no based on KBB values (which are more in the $1500 range). I'm willing to come up from there a little bit, but I won't get anywhere near 2700. Not when I have to tow it home, get it running and then find out what else doesn't work.

I imagine they got it at a wholesale auction and didnt pay much for it....it's been sitting on their lot for 4 months, and as far as I can tell they haven't had any offers. So, if they're willing to negotiate, I can roll it out of there this week. If not, well....it's not going to get any better just sitting there over the winter.

You are holding Aces, They have squat!
I'd have a hard time wanting to do business with them for asking $2700 for a 30 year old non runner.

I'd have a hard time wanting to do business with them for asking $2700 for a 30 year old non runner.

The original listing was for $3900, if you can believe it!! I don't know where that price came from, but I can't imagine a small dealership is that disconnected from market value. I sent them a snapshot of KBB and NADA, which have it in the 1500-1800 range, and they came down to 2700.....which is still way too high.

Like I mentioned, I'd be willing to "emotionally overpay" a little bit - maybe up to 1900 or 2000 - just to have a super, super clean 1st Gen that I can enjoy, but there's no way in hell I will pay 2700. I'm not sure it would be worth that even if it ran perfectly. If you have any suggestions on what it's realistically worth, that would help!

Wow... 2700 for a vehicle you can't hear run or drive. I can only imagine the lines of BS - "we have too much into it to let it go for any less"... "great runner if you're handy!!!"... "we'll just sell it to someone who doesn't mind doing a little work then"

I'd be VERY suspicious of what's really going on. They know something you don't... if they are trying to play it off as a bad fuel pump and aren't willing to spend a hundred bucks on parts to fix it... there is a good chance that they know there are other major issues and this is their cover for it.

It's a nice looking rig but remember - car dealers lie

I was thinking the same thing. If they have a mechanic on payroll, then injectors or a fuel pump are inexpensive fixes.

I was thinking the same thing. If they have a mechanic on payroll, then injectors or a fuel pump are inexpensive fixes.
Wow... 2700 for a vehicle you can't hear run or drive. I can only imagine the lines of BS - "we have too much into it to let it go for any less"... "great runner if you're handy!!!"... "we'll just sell it to someone who doesn't mind doing a little work then"

I'd be VERY suspicious of what's really going on. They know something you don't... if they are trying to play it off as a bad fuel pump and aren't willing to spend a hundred bucks on parts to fix it... there is a good chance that they know there are other major issues and this is their cover for it.

It's a nice looking rig but remember - car dealers lie

I think y'all are both spot-on. This is something that bothered me too. They make it seem like they dont want to put any time/money in it, but it's been there for 3-4 months.....if it was something simple, wouldn't they have done it to try to get closer to their asking price?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bingo...

I'd walk in with $1000 in cash, drop it on the dude's desk and tell him today is his lucky day. That would be my top dollar for this situation - leaves you enough room to buy just about anything at the junkyard and still come out at or under book value.

Back