• Register Today It's free!

Message Center Question

TOMANDPAT

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer, '02 XLT
I've got a 98 Eddie Bauer with the message center on the center console. I'm always glancing down to check my current mileage. It doesn't seem to vary much between city and highway driving. Does anyone know how often the computer updates the info on the message center?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe a 98 does not give you instant fuel economy like a 95 does. (hit the button twice and it goes from average to instant) So in that case, it is updating continuously, but takes a long time to make a change since it's over such a long period of time and mileage. Hit the reset button and it starts all over again.

(I assume this is the feature you are talking about)

I've got a 98 Eddie Bauer with the message center on the center console. I'm always glancing down to check my current mileage. It doesn't seem to vary much between city and highway driving. Does anyone know how often the computer updates the info on the message center?

Mine gives me very timely and somewhat accurate information for both city and highway. Perhaps yours is faulty?

Check this out........took a short road trip today ( 200 miles round trip). I punched the button, and sure enough, I was getting instant mileage readings, from 84 mpg coasting down hills, to 8 mpg pulling up the next one. I was in cruise control for about half the trip one way. Then, I left the headlights on while I was visiting, and naturally the battery was dead when I went to start it. After a jump start, I'm guessing the computerr reset itself, and on the way home, the message center was showing average mpg instead of instant mpg. I WAS GETTING 20.4 MPG ALL THE WAY HOME IN AN EXPLORER!!!! Never thought I'd see the day

I didn't know a 98 had instant economy like that. My 99 doesn't...but my 95 does.

Back