• Register Today It's free!

MFT Bluetooth Issues

OzzieMike

Reaction score
City, State
Broken Arrow, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
This happened to me about 3 months ago, and it's happened again...but this time I can't seem to recover.

I got in the car yesterday after stopping for a few minutes to run an errand. Started the car...noticed that, after 5 minutes of driving, that my phone wasn't connected.

My phone (iPhone 4S with latest iOS6) could see the Sync system, but the Sync system didn't connect. I tried rebooting the phone, but that didn't change anything. I ran out of time, and thought I'd see if anything changed today.

Today? Same situation.

So...I tried the Master Reset on the MFT, and tried adding my phone. MFT saw my phone, but when I tapped the "Add Device" button on the MFT, I got the Bluetooth password number...but only briefly. It went away after only a second.

I then tried deleting Sync on my iPhone and rebooting it again. Now it doesn't see the Sync system at all. The MFT Sync "Add Device" acts the same as it did before...gives me the password number, but the number disappears after about a second.

So now, I have no Bluetooth phone in my 2013 Explorer!

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This happened to me about 3 months ago, and it's happened again...but this time I can't seem to recover.

I got in the car yesterday after stopping for a few minutes to run an errand. Started the car...noticed that, after 5 minutes of driving, that my phone wasn't connected.

My phone (iPhone 4S with latest iOS6) could see the Sync system, but the Sync system didn't connect. I tried rebooting the phone, but that didn't change anything. I ran out of time, and thought I'd see if anything changed today.

Today? Same situation.

So...I tried the Master Reset on the MFT, and tried adding my phone. MFT saw my phone, but when I tapped the "Add Device" button on the MFT, I got the Bluetooth password number...but only briefly. It went away after only a second.

I then tried deleting Sync on my iPhone and rebooting it again. Now it doesn't see the Sync system at all. The MFT Sync "Add Device" acts the same as it did before...gives me the password number, but the number disappears after about a second.

So now, I have no Bluetooth phone in my 2013 Explorer!

Any suggestions?

go to www.outofmytouch.com and under the heading "MFT acting up again?" download the delayed reboot file and follow the directions. This will force MFT to "perform scheduled system maintenance." which is just a euphemism for rebooting.

The file you are downloading is actually taken from an update to some Sirius functionality which included the delayed reboot file. It installs on your system and then your system reboots after you shut it off.

Thanks, JRM....I will try that tonite when I get home.

I got home and tried the delayed reboot procedure, and it worked (although not exactly as per the instructions....I got the initial Installation Complete message after only a few seconds...then opened/closed the car door...waited 3 minutes or so, then got out of the car and waited another 5 minutes...never got the reboot screen).

But....after all the above, I was able to delete my iPhone on the MFT screen, and add it back/re-pair it...and I now have Bluetooth phone back on my MFT.

Many thanks for pointing to that file!

Yeah until it pulls that crap again. I just decided Bluetooth isn't meant to be in our Explorer lol

I know I'm being unreasonable, but perhaps the next update (said to be coming this year) will truly fix all that's wrong with MFT, and I won't have to go thru this again.

Or, perhaps pigs will fly, I win the lotto, and Ford wins a J.D. Power award for the current MFT system.

I know I'm being unreasonable, but perhaps the next update (said to be coming this year) will truly fix all that's wrong with MFT, and I won't have to go thru this again.

Or, perhaps pigs will fly, I win the lotto, and Ford wins a J.D. Power award for the current MFT system.

The reset from the delayed reboot app often will happen without the screen on so you don't know if it rebooted or not.

Your bluetooth will probably be fine for quite awhile.

If it reoccurs, you can try some other "tricks".

First, try reverse pairing your phone. see: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/reverse-pair-phone-sync-myford-touch

Next, you can try pulling fuse 29 (see your owner's manual for location) - it's hard to get to though.

OR,
Try disconnecting your battery for a couple of minutes.

Yeah until it pulls that crap again. I just decided Bluetooth isn't meant to be in our Explorer lol

I use an iPhone 5 for bluetooth phone, and an iPad mounted on the dash connected to MFT via bluetooth audio. Both connect instantly when I enter the vehicle 99% of the time. Occasionally the iPad will not connect and I'll have to change the audio source back to bluetooth audio for it to connect.

For me Bluetooth is the only part of MFT that does work :) .. I've gone to using the iPad for navi, music management and playback, etc. I use MFT for bluetooth only.

For me, Bluetooth works "pretty good" 95% of the time. There are times, though, that, even though MFT shows my phone as connected, MFT won't answer the call. (Naturally, this only happens when my phone's in my front pants pocket, and impossible to get at while driving).

I find the Navigation system one of the weaker links in MFT. Most of the time, it takes forever (well, OK...10 minutes?) for MFT to calculate the route after entering the address. Usually at this point I'm several turns into the route.

The Shuffle mode in MFT simply doesn't work with my iPhone 4S...but it's not a deal breaker. Just something that doesn't "work"...and everyone knows it.

OzzieMike... your experience is close to mine....

For me, Bluetooth works "pretty good" 95% of the time. There are times, though, that, even though MFT shows my phone as connected, MFT won't answer the call. (Naturally, this only happens when my phone's in my front pants pocket, and impossible to get at while driving)..

maybe its the armor plated underwear? I found reverse pairing makes no difference for me. My iPhone always picks up calls and works - but I get an odd 'cannot connect to phone' popup window every few days - once when I start the car - even though everything is working nicely.

I find the Navigation system one of the weaker links in MFT. Most of the time, it takes forever (well, OK...10 minutes?) for MFT to calculate the route after entering the address. Usually at this point I'm several turns into the route.)

I find that if I get in the car and immediately demand a route to an address... it takes forever. Once - I had to pull the NAV SD card out. Of course, when you get in the car is when you typically need directions. (rolleyes). My point is - that for me if I simply wait maybe 3 minutes before requesting a NAV route, it works prefectly. Not sure why this is.

The Shuffle mode in MFT simply doesn't work with my iPhone 4S...but it's not a deal breaker. Just something that doesn't "work"...and everyone knows it.

same here. It sort of works but seems erratic and clearly the shuffle setting in MFT and what is happening on the iPod would get disconnected somehow and seemed to spiral into worse problems ('indexing...'). So - I just stopped using shuffle pretty much.

Back