Minimum effort for timing chain cassette | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Minimum effort for timing chain cassette

Purch1977

Reaction score
City, State
Nottingham
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
Ok guys if I was to look at changing the timing chain cassette on the front of the SOHC engine what would be the bare minimum I would need to remove to get the old one out and the new one in?
If you would just replace the cassette what would be the recommendation! Remembering this explorers in the uk are rare and aren't worth a lot of money anymore

Ok guys if I was to look at changing the timing chain cassette on the front of the SOHC engine what would be the bare minimum I would need to remove to get the old one out and the new one in?
If you would just replace the cassette what would be the recommendation! Remembering this explorers in the uk are rare and aren't worth a lot of money anymore
Youll need the timing kit or a work around. Others in the US have done it without but you need a way of locking off the cam and the crank.
Everything needs to come off the front. The aircon can stay connected and swung into the battery tray once the battery is removed. Then the crank pulley has to come off. The viscous fan has to come off. I used a chisel to knock it loose as i didn't want to buy the special spanner.
The water pump and timing cover off. The intake plenum and rocker cover.
The front jackshaft bolt has to be undone as the crank to jackshaft chain is in front of the cassette chain.
You will probably find the main tensioner or guide is knackered also. These tend to go before the cassette. You may even find the guide on the balance shaft tensioner is knackered but this is engine out to replace as the upper sump needs to come off to get to the mounting bolts. Some people tho have managed to slide a new guide on here by some means or other.
If you search you may find a post i made with engine assembly pdf download. This will give you all the torque figures for the bolts etc.
Use a small torque wrench on the timing cover bolts as they are low torque and will strip the block if over tightened and 1/2 inch drive torque wrenches are not accurate at low torque.
You may need new timing cover and water pump gaskets but you may be able to get away with using some rtv sealant.

IIRC the crank pulley bolt and the jack shaft front bolt need to be replaced with new as they are TTY (Torque To Yield) bolts and will be stretched.

You may have to remove the radiator to give yourself enough room to work.

You also have to destroy one of your tensioners if you don't get the OTC kit so you can use it to hold tension on the chain before you tighten the cam and jackshaft gears. check out streetrod2000's guide. He made his own timing kit.

You also have to destroy one of your tensioners if you don't get the OTC kit so you can use it to hold tension on the chain before you tighten the cam and jackshaft gears. check out streetrod2000's guide. He made his own timing kit.
Tech is correct, Dale (streetrod) has done a load of threads on timing chains etc. He was instrumental in me being able to do my engine.

Back