Misfire.!!! Please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Misfire.!!! Please help

yjownzme

Reaction score
i have a 92 explorer. 4.0 auto, 4x4, basically it has a inconsistant misfire. ive tried new plugs and wires, new coil. it helped for a short time. but did not fix it.

The engine shows no check engine codes,the mis is horrible when its cold outside, and uppon first startup in the morning. it gets better as the engine warms up, but never actually goes away.
the inconsistancy of the miss makes me think its not a spark or fuel issue. but i figured i would ask and see if this happends offten to these or if anyone has any ideas. THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH, hopefully we can figure this out - Dustin

when i start up in the morning or when it sits for acouple hours i have a miss for about 30 seconds sounds like i sputter then goes away.

I have been fighting the same thing even thou it has gotten better it still is not were I want it .
So far changed plugs and wires
New Accel coil
New temp sensor for the computer (ETC?)
Cleaned the MAF sensor
Cleaned the air temp sensor on the intake manifold
Checked for a vac leak any wear including the hoses and intake upper and lower
Checked and changed the FPR
Cleaned the air idle valve

I am now at the point that it is just a miles thing being I have over 200,000 on it but besides the slight erratic miss at ideal it runs great
O by the way changing the temp sensor (ETC?) did the most to lower the miss and at the same time it raised the idle a bit both in gear and out of gear. It is an auto tranny also with a manual transfer case.

when its cold outside, and uppon first startup in the morning. it gets better as the engine warms up, but never actually goes away.
Where the miss is always there, I might try a cylinder balance test to see if the missfire is isolated to a certain cylinder or not.

Back