Missing 2nd Gear

hwydave

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 XLT, 1999 XL (RIP)
Folks,

My 2009 Explorer V6 with 56,000 miles automatic transmission is having a intermitting gear shifting problem. A week ago I had a transmission fluid leak at the intermediate band locknut seal. The dealer replaced the trans range sensor and R&R intermediate band locknut. The technician adjusted the band and top off fluid. Drove that evening without problem. The next day when I drove it in the evening, when started the engine and move forward, the trans engaged to first gear (speed up to about 20 MPH) and then the second gear seems to be "missing", the RPM reved to 3k RPM (as if the truck is shifted in neutral) and the truck moved very slowly and the little “ratchet” light came on. Have to stop the engine for a few second and restart the car and everything is back to normal. Brought it back to dealership, the dealer test drove for about 18 miles and everything is normal. They can not duplicated the problem. They did not found any fluid leak and got no error code. This evening when m wife drove the truck, the same thing happens. She did mentioned that she can notice the engine is idling a bit high when first started. She stopped the truck at red light for a few second and restart the engine and everything is back to normal. I test drove the truck afterward and everything is fine.

Very confused and concern about this “missing” gear. Want to get it fixed before the powertran warranty expired in July. Any suggestion on where the issue might be? Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a smart phone you may want to start by taking a video of the dash lights doing their thing when it happens. That way you have some place to start at the dealership and they will know something is up.

Thanks. I did thought about the picture. However, the "wrench" sign popped up because I was nervous (the truck is in the middle of the intersection and barely moving) and press the gas pretty hard. The warning sign does not pop up if I just shut off the engine and restart.

I agree with Tour, anything you can do to document the issue for the dealership will help them get to the bottom of what is happening and get it fixed for you. Even the minor details like, "on a cold engine at idle, a hard acceleration from a rolling start will cause it, etc." Wait a second... they didn't check to see if there were any codes in the system from the tranny, especially considering they just worked on it... they just drove it to try to replicate the problem?

According to dealer, they found no error code. :-(

I did an OBDI reading and got no code. I just brought the truck to the local Advance Auto Parts and their staff got no code from their reader also. :-(

I think you need a special code reader to get trans codes. You might want to take it to a trans shop and let them read it.

WFIW, I disconnect the battery for about a hour and let the computer reset itself. The truck seems to working fine, not crazy missing 2nd gear or so. It has been a week without any problem. Fingers crossed! :)

Problem is back

Just to update the situation: the transmission issue is back. I paid more attention this time around about the circumstance when it happen: When I shift from Park to Drive or Reverse to Drive, if the issue is to occurred, the truck seems to look for the first gear and catch it eventually; when the truck starts to move faster (like in parking lot), the transmission can't catch the 2nd gear and the engine reved to 2~3000 RPM while the truck barely move above 5 to 10 MPH. When I stop, turn off the engine and restart the engine, the transmission is back to normal and shift as it should be. The transmission happens so in frequent that I can't really keep track when the mishap will happen. The issue only happen at the beginning of the drive; if the truck shift ok when move from parking lot or driveway, then the rest of the journey the truck shift fine.

I have flushed the transmission fluid, replace the battery (it need one anyway) and back to the dealership again. The dealership still can not duplicated the issue; they still can't get any code from the transmission. I think it is an electrical issue but have no idea where to start investigating.

Any suggestions on how to tackle the issue are appreciated!

Check the transmission electrical connector under the vehicle. There is a possibility that condensate from the HVAC box is dripping down on top of it causing corrosion/issues at that connector.

Check the transmission electrical connector under the vehicle. There is a possibility that condensate from the HVAC box is dripping down on top of it causing corrosion/issues at that connector.

Thanks for the suggestion! Any particular spot I should pay attention to?

Trace the lines that go from the solenoid pack to the connector (somewhere on top of the transmission?), that is the connector that you want to take a look at.

Thanks, Flag! I'll look into it when I am able to get the truck up on a lift next week and report back on what I found.

So far, have not found any issue with the electrical connection, but I was in a rush for time at that time so have to go back to again to borrow the lift to continue checking the connection.

Did some research and came across the TSB 09-12-12 about the worn out intermediate servo bore. Could it be the issue? Even with the description matching the symptom, not too sure that is really the case since the TSB mention detecting the diagnostic trouble codes along the way. Just bring up this finding for experts' advice. Thanks.

If it was a worn out servo bore it would do it all the time. This is acting like an electrical connection problem or something wrong with one of the solenoids.

Found no obvious issue on the connector but today when my wife drove around town, she has the "missing 2nd gear issue" several times in a row. The weather has been in the upper 80s, which is when the shifting issue starts. I finally pull the code: P1700. Not much information during my search. Any idea what the P1700 is? Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, that is a generic transmission concern code. However, now that you have a code the dealership that did the work can at least see that there is a legitimate issue now. It sounds to me like you are going to need to drop the pan and check for any debris in the fluid to see if the problem is obvious. Before dropping the pan I would check the oil line pressures on the transmission and if all good there then I would drop the pan and air check the case. One of these things should identify the specific problem.

Thanks, Flag. With the code registered, I brought the truck to the dealership today. The powertrain warranty is good for another week (whew! that is close) and dealer will look into it under factory warranty (the service manager mentioned that they might have to take the transmission apart - I assume it is dropping the pan as you suggested). Dealer is backup on the transmission repair and the truck is at the dealer now; it will be a week before they can get back to me. Will report back with the result.

Finally got the truck back from the dealership. The dealer's diagnose is "suspect front one way clutch" and replaced valve body due to sticking pressure regulator valve. The invoice itemized that the shop overhaul the transmission, including cleaning up all the contamination. Ford got charged by dealer for $2810.

The truck drives fine now. The shifting from P to D feel more "solid/stiff" compare to "gliding through" feeling. Hope my experience will help others with the similar problem FWIW. :)

Thanks for all the inputs. Rather disappointed with issue with truck up until now (dealer replace rear main seal, upper oil pan, and now this transmission overhaul- glad they are all covered under warranty), but you guys rock with your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got the truck back from the dealership. The dealer's diagnose is "suspect front one way clutch" and replaced valve body due to sticking pressure regulator valve. The invoice itemized that the shop overhaul the transmission, including cleaning up all the contamination. Ford got charged by dealer for $2810.

The truck drives fine now...

Fantastic news, hwydave; I'm glad to hear the dealer got you all fixed up. Thanks for sharing your results with us! :)

Crystal

Back