Missing Part? - Clip in the glove box | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part? - Clip in the glove box

Well goody, so far in 2021 Ford has eliminated the engine cover on the 2.3 liter motor, eliminated this clip thingy, and some under rear air defelctor. I sure that saves them a whopping 30 bucks per vehicle.

Gee some one should class action them so they will put all that back in.
I removed the engine cover and stored it in the garage. It had become a nice, warm place for the squirrels to hide their winter larder.
It has no benefit installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Jason. :wave:
The clip is not an option. On the AutoNation site it shows as being for;

Base, Limited, Limited Hybrid, Platinum, ST, XLT2.3L L4 - Gas, 3.0L V6 - Gas, 3.3L V6 - Electric/Gas, 3.3L V6 - Gas
You may also check for these items;

Peter
The tow eye is not there because the production units have a solid bumper behind the nose clip. I posted pictures of this in a different thread. As for the strut tower insulator and the rear air deflector, Ford deleted the strut tower insulator from the production units. The picture that was originally posted was of a pre production show model. A for the rear, undercarriage air deflector, I have been advised by the Plano, TX zone office that if the item is not shown on the vehicles "As built" line sheet, it will not be covered under the warranty.

I know for sure that the rear air deflector and the glove box clip was eliminated in the later 2020 models as well because I have a 2020 and don't have either of those.
It is called supplier issues. The clip and glove box are considered a single item based on the parts print out from my dealer. The damn glove box clip is sourced from a foreign country. Go figure ! Because the subcontractor cannot supply the clip to the vender that supplies Ford with the glovebox, the Explorers are being shipped as is. I own two late build ST's, neither of which has the glove box clip.

The tow eye is not there because the production units have a solid bumper behind the nose clip. I posted pictures of this in a different thread. As for the strut tower insulator and the rear air deflector, Ford deleted the strut tower insulator from the production units. The picture that was originally posted was of a pre production show model. A for the rear, undercarriage air deflector, I have been advised by the Plano, TX zone office that if the item is not shown on the vehicles "As built" line sheet, it will not be covered under the warranty.
Some 2020 production units did have the receptacle for the tow eye. The tow eye can also be used at the rear of some Explorers. That was discussed in that thread. This thread however is on the 'clip'.

Peter

Some 2020 production units did have the receptacle for the tow eye. The tow eye can also be used at the rear of some Explorers. That was discussed in that thread. This thread however is on the 'clip'.

Peter

Does anyone know who the supplier for this is? The manual doesn't fall out because it has a little shelf for the manual to set on and the clip basically holds it in place on its little shelf. I would like to get one of these clips too.

Does anyone know who the supplier for this is? The manual doesn't fall out because it has a little shelf for the manual to set on and the clip basically holds it in place on its little shelf. I would like to get one of these clips too.
As mentioned, the clip does not appear to be a separate item but rather part of the door. Post #17.

Peter

As mentioned, the clip does not appear to be a separate item but rather part of the door. Post #17.

Peter

someone mentioned in another post that it was supplied by a foreign company. What keeps you from going to them to buy one? I am just wondering if anyone has found a solution but it appears they have not.
thanks

If anyone can determine who that subcontractor is that is supposed to supply the clip then that's a start but they likely aren't in a position to sell a clip to two to anyone that wants one if in fact the clip is still being made since Ford has decided to eliminate it.

Peter

3D Printing anyone? At least for the glove box clip.

3D Printing anyone? At least for the glove box clip.

Or you swipe one from a salvage yard part vehicle, next why does the 2021 not have the glove box light?

maybe a Limited or above trim option

IMG_5976.jpg

Well goody, so far in 2021 Ford has eliminated the engine cover on the 2.3 liter motor, eliminated this clip thingy, and some under rear air defelctor. I sure that saves them a whopping 30 bucks per vehicle.

Gee some one should class action them so they will put all that back in.
They would kill to drop $30 per unit. A class action lawsuit for unnecessary parts? You clearly don’t understand how manufacturing, or lawsuits work.

You won’t be able to purchase a clip from the manufacturer. They are in the business of selling millions of parts. They don’t have time, or the resources to sell single pieces. As mentioned this is a solid candidate for 3D printing.

Peter

Nope it is held in with a small Torx screw, and has a small punch out type plastic mold thing holding it in place. This is nothing more than a paper thin piece of plastic once you remove the clip so while it is somewhat molded in place it is easily removed. It screws down tight and is held in place between two plastic tabs.

I've always kept my manual in the pocket behind the passenger seatback.
Easier to access than rooting through the glovebox.
Hence my lack of concern about the glovebox clip.
If it was there, I'd most likely remove it as it is nothing more that a protrusion ready to cut the back of your hand...and is most likely the reason it doesn't exist anymore.

I've always kept my manual in the pocket behind the passenger seatback.
Easier to access than rooting through the glovebox.
Hence my lack of concern about the glovebox clip.
If it was there, I'd most likely remove it as it is nothing more that a protrusion ready to cut the back of your hand...and is most likely the reason it doesn't exist anymore.

Okay the Explorer glove box still has the shelf for the manual the only thing missing is the clip because ford has supplier issues. It works pretty well and frees up a lot of glove box space. It works out a lot better than putting it in the seat back pouch were it will stretch out the pouch.

They would kill to drop $30 per unit. A class action lawsuit for unnecessary parts? You clearly don’t understand how manufacturing, or lawsuits work.
"Gee some one should class action them so they will put all that back in."
Although not indicated, I guessed that was posted in jest.

Peter

I suppose that’s better than that it being any kind of legitimate thought.

"Gee some one should class action them so they will put all that back in."
Although not indicated, I guessed that was posted in jest.

Peter

Yes it is a jest, as in America everyone likes to sue everyone else and tons of class action suits out there over things most of us will never have issue with in our rides.

I designed and 3d printed a glove box owners manual clip for my 2021 Explorer. It isn't exactly the same but it works. I used a M3 x 16mm screw to secure it in the same spot as the OEM clip.
20210317_164126.jpg

20210317_164103.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay the Explorer glove box still has the shelf for the manual the only thing missing is the clip because ford has supplier issues. It works pretty well and frees up a lot of glove box space. It works out a lot better than putting it in the seat back pouch were it will stretch out the pouch.

The manual is about a 3/4" thick. Hardly capable of stretching the seat back pouch, as if that was a real concern.

Back