Missing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing

C

chad

I own a 1992 Explorer XL with an auto and the 4.0 V6. The promlem is that when the engine is warm, i.e. after running errands and stop and go traffic for several hours, if the engine is shut-off for under five minutes and then restarted it has a horrible miss. The whole truck shakes and bucks for about a minute and then everything is normal again. The only other symptom that I have is poor in town fuel economy. I have heard that the Throttle Position Sensor can cause this. Does anyone have any experience with such a thing?

------------------

Cdubya

Sounds like what I had. What happened to mine was a vacuum hose fell off. Try to reset the computer too. If that doesn't work try changing your air/fuel filters.

This happened to me on my way from Virginia to the Florida Keys (should have flown but I love my explorer) anyway in georgia i stopped for gas and when i went to leave the truck barely started and it felt like someone stole my flywheel and welded my motor to the frame. well needless to say i immeadiatly drove it to the curb an shut her down for a while, afterwards she drove fine. another 30 minutes down the road it started to overheat and well i drove for the next 12 hours with the heat on. In florida i got the thermastat replaced and i have never had a problem since.

Back