Mitsubishi Monteros roll at 37m.p.h. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mitsubishi Monteros roll at 37m.p.h.

ACBlessing

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA (eastern Washington state)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Well finally some news that shows our Xs aren't the alleged, rolling disasters they're made out to be. Yesterday, the NHTSB released an urgent finding that Mitsubishi Monteros will topple at speeds as low as 37mph which Mitsu denies.

The good thing is studies involving more than one auto maker show rolling has more to do than how people drive their SUVs than some inherent design flaw from one maker (Ford X). The bad news is that one day soon, all SUVs will be considered rolling risks and insurance companies will be quick to profiteer from it.

AC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i agree, its the person behind the wheel, not the vehicle. granted some trucks are more top-heavy than others, but for every truck/suv that has rolled, there is more than one that hasnt. if it was in the design, there would be a lot more roll-overs.

I agree that it in most cases it is the the driver. My friend and I rolled a nissan pulsar at 25 mph to avoid hitting a kid in the street. He pulled the wheel hard and the next thing we know we are sittin upside down in somones front yard. I figure if a nissan pulsar can roll at 25 anything can roll.

Drivers

THE DAMN THING IS NOT A CAR IT IS A 4X4, why do stupid driver's think they can do whatever there other CAR use to do. If you drive seriously and stay focused on the road (no eating, cell phone or other), then you are most likely to stay on the road. Yes there can be some design flaw or tire issue, but mainely IT IS A SUV, that mean higher gravity center and less stable. Most people buy Ex and alike truck for the look, 75% of them never see even a forest road, so what's the point. :eek: Thanks for letting me vent on stupid behavior...:p

yeah....there is even a sticker on my visor that says if you drive this truck like a car your stupid "butt" is going to roll or be seriuos injured.....that is the nice and short version.

I have that sticker too

I assume I'm the only person on here that has actually driven the Explorer on a racetrack, but let me assure everyone, it is totally stable, and very predictable. It takes some getting used to throwing an Explorer into corners at high speed, but when you get used to the roll you realize, this truck will roll a LOT before it comes over, it aint gonna do it.

I put my X thru the emergency handling routine (While towing a trailer) at about 45mph last Tuesday. Coming back from mountain biking, a deer popped out in front of me. Had to go hard left to avoid the deer, and then hard right to avoid the rv coming at me( About the same type of manuever that the Montero wanted to roll over on). Even with my truck lifted 2" and with 31's on I didn't even lift a wheel. Slid a little bit, but no rollover :).

Back