mmmmm equal length... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mmmmm equal length...

SteveG3 >> those picturs you put up, does that vehicle have a lift kit? Cauz it doesnt look like it.

Well, at the time of that pic it had the exact opposite of lift. All but the main leaves were removed, the bump stops removed and the axle tubes were resting on the frame rails. I was cycling the rear suspension to get measurements for the rear shock mounts. Because they were mounted inboard of the frame rail, that gave me the collapsed measurement I needed. To answer your question (not that it matters for this thread), at the time of the pic it did not have lift. I was in the process of installing it. When I was done it had about 4" of lift.

BTW thats not at full stuff. That tire will stuff further at the trail or a RTI ramp.

Personally I consider the rear suspension to be at full bump when both axle tubes are contacting the frame. Articulation is a different story of course, but needs to be taken into consideration as well. What we call the two is semantics and doesn't change the outcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I consider the rear suspension to be at full bump when both axle tubes are contacting the frame. Articulation is a different story of course, but needs to be taken into consideration as well. What we call the two is semantics and doesn't change the outcome.

If both axles are touching the frame rails, then the situation is different. Most off roaders never compress both sides of the axle at the same time unless doing a jump -- which is reserved mostly for the desert runners on the forum ;) Most of us who do trail rides and rocks compress only one side of the axle. And in this situation where only one side is compressed, the off-camber angle of the axle and tire combination means that the top of the tire "tucks" inside the frame rails better than just compressing both sides at the same time -- as FROADER displays in the pic below.

1600colin.jpg

In such situations, the inside of the tire will rub against the inner walls of the fender. In your situation where you have both axles touching the frame rails, you probably have a few inches between the tire and the inner fender walls.

IZwack, I agree with everything you said, but I this thread is about a desert set up so that's what I was focusing on.

Ahh right you are!

Yuuup I tore the heck outta my old 33" procomp tires trying to mash through whoops and drops without hacking the rear fenders...finally I just went for it and am glad I did, although it was a major amount of work to get it sealed again. Articulating is a different story;)

Any advancements on the truck BMX?

not a whole lot has been going on... i got 3 seats ordered up (hehehehe) and im lookin for tubing to start the cage at least enough to mount the 4points to...

ive been busy lately with work and then signing up for school and the dmv wich is always my favorite place to go...

i was going to do gears but i figure i might as well wait for the 2wd stuff to get put on or else id have to take out my driveshaft for now or it might eff up the front end with the front drive still there

ive also been lookin for a place or something to laminate the windows so they dont shatter in case of a rollover, how do you guys deal with the glass?

.... building a custom center consol at the moment and wiring all the windows to it and door locks so i can remove the buttons from the doors...just kinda a cool thing i wanted i guess....

plus im goin on a family trip soon so i dunno if ill do any serious work until i come back, around the 3rd... so basically im just doing more research and drawing out my plans and taking measurements

What's wrong with the safety glass that came in it from the factory? Why would it matter if it shattered?

What's wrong with the safety glass that came in it from the factory? Why would it matter if it shattered?

A simple tint job would help here, it would keep pieces from flying around if the window(s) broke out.

well the windsheild is saftey glass that will not shatter but all the side windows are just regualrs glass and if the truck rolled I wouldnt want glass exploding all over the place....i mean they would probably be rolled down and i'd just have window nets up while wheelin but in case i want em up with the AC on or something....

this is going to be a prerunner, ive got a couple of friends and we are playing around with the idea of building a race truck someday (distant future haha) so we need something with AC to pre run with

Back