• Register Today It's free!

Mobile Video

zzimzimma

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Ok, I did a search on this but didn't find all the answers to the questions I was looking for so here it goes.

I have pretty good knowledge on the audio end of car electronics. I installed my entire system myself. I think I'm ready to install some video components now but I'm totally lost on this end so here it goes.

I would like to put a LCD screen in the cut outs infront of the console and cupholders..(i saw a couple of pics with that mod) I think i can handle making that work but wiring is where I think I'd be lost.

First off, I'm assuming the lcd screen will have a power and ground which Im ok with..but in terms of video and audio..how does this work? I want to interface my video with my aftermarket stereo system. Does the video simply come from a componant like a vcr or dvd to the lcd via RCA cable and the audio go to the head unit? I'm really not sure. I have a kenwood kdc X-917 head unit that I think i can buy a module for that would allow me to hook standard RCA audio wires to it...is this how a typical job like this is done.

I want to do this the right way without butchering it up so to speak so any and all info is appreciated...I'm kinda stupid when it comes to mobile video so thanks in advance.

Also, any recommendations on LCD screens in terms of brands and size that will fit in the console pocket?

Thanks!

Video

Here are some pictures of my set up. I ran my power wire from the screen to the Battery and the ground to a screw under the center console. As for audio I ran a JVC Cable from my headunit to my DVD player. So when I want to listen to my DVD I either hit the CD Changer button on my headunit and listen through all my speakers or use headphones. I also have a overhead 7" Screen on the ceiling that flips down for the rear passangers. If you are on AIM let me know your screen name and we can chat.
EXVideo.jpg

Back