• Register Today It's free!

Monroe Reflex shocks

wfo3717

Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport 4X4
Hello...newbie here. Thinking about replacing the shocks on my 01 Exp. Sport with Monroe Reflex shocks. Any comments?TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site! If you use the search function you'll find a ton of discussion on pros/cons of various shocks. IMO, Reflexes are the best on-road shock you can buy for the money. They provide a firm, controlled ride. If you want a softer ride, go with Monroe Sensatracs.

Use the search feature and you'll find plenty of comments in the archives. I have them on my '00 Sport and like them a lot. Do yourself a favour and get an Explorer Express rear swaybar as well and your Ex will handle so much better than stock. I did both these upgrades at the same time.

Ooops.....forgot about the search function. Thanks for the info. Gotta go search on the sway bar.

I got them and like them. And the price wasn't bad, under $150 (buy 3 get one free).

I have reflexes on the front and sensatrac load levelers on the rear. The reason I went with this set-up is the load levelers actually raise the rear (about an inch... maybe a little less) and got rid of the notorious rear end sag... they have coil springs around the outside that actually lift the rear a bit. No complaints at all.

Lee

Lee S. said:
I have reflexes on the front and sensatrac load levelers on the rear. The reason I went with this set-up is the load levelers actually raise the rear (about an inch... maybe a little less) and got rid of the notorious rear end sag... they have coil springs around the outside that actually lift the rear a bit. No complaints at all.

Lee
This sensatrac load levelers...is that from Monroe?

VOATMJ1 said:
This sensatrac load levelers...is that from Monroe?

Yep...

Monroe Reflex Are great!

I swapped out my rear shocks cause one original one looked leaky... It was totally deteriorated, and would easily compress and not uncompress on its own! I was noticing body roll too...

Then I decided to change the fronts too.

The front ones were much easier to change than the rears.

In general, all of the new shocks felt incredibly harder to push (by my hands) compared to the old stock ones. The stock ones only had 59,000 kms on them and are crap.

I bought a full set of monroe Reflex shocks, front and rear, changed them all. My truck rides AMAZINGLY compared to before. (I only drive on paved roads).

The body roll and front/rear movement from braking or accelerating has been drastically reduced. I didn't expect it to be this good.

I highly recommend this shock. They were expensive though, approx $92 ea. CDN before taxes.

For those wondering, I have a stock setup aside from a 1.5" warrior shackle lift on the rear to compensate for the rear end sag.

These new shocks make my truck sit slightly higher now too.

dreamr said:
I have been running the reflex shocks for about a year. They seem to do well in all terrains, from hiway, to city, to forest roads, to 4x4 trails. They have proven themselves well

Hmm did I really say that? Well let me revise my opinion. I have destroyed them in the last year of playing. They are actually worse now than the 90'000 mile ford shocks they replaced. :rolleyes:

I really liked them while they worked, but I think the abuse they see through the summer months will require an upgrade to Rancho's, just not sure if I want the RSX or the 9000's.

do you think they would have lasted at least 60k if you stayed on the road?

dreamr said:
Hmm did I really say that? Well let me revise my opinion. I have destroyed them in the last year of playing. They are actually worse now than the 90'000 mile ford shocks they replaced. :rolleyes:

I really liked them while they worked, but I think the abuse they see through the summer months will require an upgrade to Rancho's, just not sure if I want the RSX or the 9000's.

Sounds like a good review topic. ;)

do you know what part of the shock failed?

Skibum1989 said:
do you know what part of the shock failed?

Well the casing on the rear is a bit mangled, which may be part of the problem back there :D

My real issue though is that at all 4 corners they are not functioning as a shock should. If I bounce a corner of the vehicle I should only get a couple rebounds with a decent shock. These used to only bounce once or twice, Now it just keeps on a rocking. Hit a rough section of road at 40 and it is down right scary.

Like I said I liked em at first, but they just can't take the abuse of even my moderate wheeling.

dreamr said:

I'm pretty sure the Monroe Reflex shocks are the same as the Rancho RSX's. They are both made by Monroe and both use "Reflex" self adjusting valving.

Anyway, I have the RSX's and they worked great for most of the year, but now they are extremely soft and bouncy up front. With my very aggressive on and off road driving, I managed to get less than 25k miles out of them. I'm ready to just change them all over to the 9000's instead of replacing these under warrantee.

You guys know that those shocks have a lifetime warranty right? Return them and get new ones.

Yeah, I know, but I don't want to have to replace them every few months. I'd rather get something heavier duty and be done with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back