mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
I already have a Moog left UCA and balljoint ready to go on my truck, and i just placed an order for a Moog right UCA 1-piece. After the order was completed i noticed that the left one i have is called a "problem solver" which i'm presuming means that in the future i can have just the balljoint replaced and not the entire arm. I went back to look if what i just ordered was a problem solver too, and it's not. The Moog problem solver for the right arm is the 2-piece arm.

So my questions are: will i need to replace the entire right arm AGAIN in the future if it's not a problem solver, or can JUST the balljoint be replaced? Should i have gotten the 2-piece arm instead?

I know Moog makes the highest quality balljoints for our trucks, but i thought the 2-piece arm was inherently weaker than the 1-piece.

For reference:
right UCA 1-piece part #K80068
right UCA 2-piece part #K8710T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember seeing discussion about this, and I thought I heard that the two-piece was discontinued. This is from memory only of course.
With the one piece I think you are right, you'll have to replace the whole control arm. It isn't any more work though anyway.
I wouldn't say it is really weaker. It has more parts, but I've never heard of one breaking, ever. The actual balljoint should be the same, and it is the weak point anyway.

That really makes no sense to me why moog would do that, make a left arm that doesn't need to be replaced and a right arm that does. That's gonna be $110+ everytime i need to replace a balljoint. And the 2-piece arms are still in production.

The problem solver part is the different ball joint. ITs a higher angle ball joint than stock. Thats why my stock uppers broke the way they did at truckhaven. When you get the arm im pretty sure it will be a replaceable ball joint, and when the time comes just replace it with a problem solver..

Matt if i were you id look at having some limit straps installed, it will help out alot with not maxing out the ball joints which will help them live longer.

Well i'm kinda out of luck with this...just called rockauto where i ordered from this morning, and they confirmed that what i ordered does not have a replaceable balljoint, so if/when this balljoint fails i'll need to replace the whole arm AGAIN! What a waste.

However, concerning the 2-piece arm....Moog offers the balljoint part of the two piece arm with replaceable balljoint, but they don't sell the bushing part of the arm. WTF?!?! And to make things worse, my order already shipped so if i wanted to change my mind i can't. These fawkers better last a long time! :mad:

Carlover-what length limit straps would you suggest?

Just thought i'd show the difference between a non-replaceable BJ and a replaceable "problem solver" BJ, for future reference for others.

Non-replaceable
P1010754.jpg

Replaceable
P1010756.jpg

Comparison
P1010757.jpg

O ya, sean, are we on for the saturday after thanksgiving still?

Well i'm kinda out of luck with this...just called rockauto where i ordered from this morning, and they confirmed that what i ordered does not have a replaceable balljoint, so if/when this balljoint fails i'll need to replace the whole arm AGAIN! What a waste.

However, concerning the 2-piece arm....Moog offers the balljoint part of the two piece arm with replaceable balljoint, but they don't sell the bushing part of the arm. WTF?!?! And to make things worse, my order already shipped so if i wanted to change my mind i can't. These fawkers better last a long time! :mad:

Carlover-what length limit straps would you suggest?

ill measure mine later today. and ill let you know about next weekend in the next day or two. i gotta check with brandon

That really makes no sense to me why moog would do that, make a left arm that doesn't need to be replaced and a right arm that does. That's gonna be $110+ everytime i need to replace a balljoint. And the 2-piece arms are still in production.

Lifetime warranty. I've replaced mine a couple times. Rockauto won't send just the balljoint, I have to send the whole arm. I do have the two piece on the right side though.

Lifetime warranty. I've replaced mine a couple times. Rockauto won't send just the balljoint, I have to send the whole arm. I do have the two piece on the right side though.

And then what do you do while the arm is in transit?

And then what do you do while the arm is in transit?

You can buy a new arm and Rockauto will refund the price less shipping when you ship the old arm in.

Hmm, i'll look into that, maybe get some money back, thanks.

Thats only if you have to replace the Moog arm again.

The 2 piece is junk. The bracket that has the balljoint with the bracket that allows adjustment is know to flex. Basically if your looking for good rigid ride and don't want to keep getting alignments just get the 1 piece one. Last night i did a swap over from the junk 2 piece to the single. I need to get an alignment however thus far the ride is now wonderful!

Well i'll be....i got the right UCA today and it has a problem solver replaceable BJ! The package list says it's part#80068, so i guess the description online is wrong.

Back