• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof partly operational

cucumber1949

Reaction score
City, State
Greater Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ControlTrac 4x4
'97 Explorer 2-door SportTrac. Does anybody have access to an electrical schematic or exploded parts view of the moonroof internals? My moonroof will open with the overhead console switch, but not close. Everything else on this power circuit (other windows, tcase, etc) all works. After I open the moonroof, the only way it can be closed is to pop off the overhead console and use a big screwdriver to manually turn the moonroof motor via the built in screwdriver slot.

I am guessing that either I have a bad moonroof switch in the overhead console or there is some type of position or limit switch in the moonroof system that is malfunctioning. Would like to have a diagram before charging in there. My Chilton manual hardly mentions the moonroof. Thanks in advance.

well... the basic operation is to send voltage to either one of the wires in the pair... one wire for close and one for open... sooooo, you need to check and see if you are getting voltage on either wire when you appropriately press the button. If not, then its a button problem. If there is voltage, then your next best "candidate" is that your motor has a problem.... and yes there is "built in" limit switches but I don't know if they are serviceable.

Back