• Register Today It's free!

More clutch problems...

3DFanatic

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport
Disregard my last thread...I fabbed up a little tool to punch the pin out holding the clutch line. But it didn't help...I think it might be my slave? I did some searching but no one seemed to have my exact symptoms so tell me what you think.
Last thursday my clutch went dry...thought it was odd, but didn't see any leakage so I filled it, pumped it up and went. Even went wheelin sat. Was fine all weekend. Drove home sunday night and had no symptoms of problems. Head off to work today and less than 1/2 mile down the road it goes dry again. Now I'm pissed so I try to fill the resevior sop I can get to work, no joy dry again after about a mile. So I limp home in second gear.
Looked like it was leaking out of the connection between the clutch line and the slave. So I replaced the clutch line cause it's easier. Bled the system out good. Started up, pedal felt normal. 1/2 mile down the road bone dry.

Sound like a slave cylinder leak?? Any for-sure test I can do? Advice? Thanks!

The X doesnt like you going to work. go wheelin instead

If the fluid is leaking out, it's going somewhere. Look carefully for it, including on both sides of the firewall around the master cylinder. I can't remember if there's a hole that it would leak out of on the bottom of the bell housing, but you could use a flashlight and mirror to see if it's pooling up in there from a leak in the slave. If it is the slave, the whole tranny has to come off so try to diagnose before replacing stuff.

There's a port in the bell housing and I can see the fluid all over the slave. I thought/hoped it was the line/fitting cause that's easy to replace... It wasn't. I mean there'snothing else in there to leak right?

Back