more power on 1991 2wd 5spd? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

more power on 1991 2wd 5spd?

i got a 91 2wd 4door with a 5 speed and i want it to handle better and get some more speed out of it;without spending too much. i know its not a race car, and will never beat my friends 98 5.0, but i want something to almost compete. im putting bf radial t/a s on and maybe some exhuast, maybe a throttle body, might lower it one inch with blocks and a torsion twist and small stuff like that. anyone got any suggestions to make a 2wd 4.0 have more edge without spending major money? thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sway bars & chip will do a lot in the direction of handeling & performance.

Unfortunately you cannot do the tortion twist on a 91 :thumbdwn: There are no tortion bars. You have beams and coil springs. Which is not easy to lower properly but there are some on here that have done it. As for the performance, a good exhaust is good idea and so is an intake.

wow i tought i had torsion bars but that was just an assumtion; i never actually looked. a chip looks like a good idea. i got a flowmaster 50 series for free, not sure if i should put that one with the stock exhaust or do maybe a catback. ive seen flowmaster and gibson, but dynomax makes a straight-through system for only 100 bucks so that looks good too.

Bill Kemp said:
Sway bars & chip will do a lot in the direction of handeling & performance.

A chip will do little if anyt6hing on that truck.

aldive said:
A chip will do little if anyt6hing on that truck.
curious, why do you say the chips dont do anything, ive seen you say that to others, only other one i remember was also a 5spd; is that cause the chips mainly deal with shift points so they dont do much on a manual or do you have more reasons. just wondering cause you say they dont do much but dont give reasons why.

chips do significantly less on a stick..... yes they rest some curves of the engine, but without the autotranny input there is no way for the chip to figure out what your doing.....

as far as need for speed..... sell your truck and get a later model 2wd with a 5.0

According to Doug at Bama, a chip/tune still does a significant amount on a stick. There is enough headway in the engine tune itself that it helps a lot.

jimbo74 said:
but without the autotranny input there is no way for the chip to figure out what your doing.....

Huh?

Please explain that statement?

Back