More system questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More system questions

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Now that the JVC KD-SH99 as well as the Polk DX7’s ( front dooe; rear door stock ) are in, with the MTX Thunderform sub to be installed in the next few days, I think I need more power for the front speakers.

What do you audio guys recommend for me in the way of an amp?

Thanks…..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DX7s are rated at 40watts RMS...how about Audiobahn A235HCX?

Dead Link Removed

that's a real good amp, but i dont think he wants to spend that much just to power the front doors. but you could hook up like a bunch of speakers and run it high current. you could run 16 of those polk dx7s off that amp if you wanted to:eek: . and that amp has a lot of nice features.

but if you just want a basic inexpensive amp that'll provide clean power to your door speakers, then check out lightning audio or profile. you could probably find one under $150.

I'm surprised you go for the Lightning Audio stuff Leenjen :rolleyes:

i dont own any, but it is inexpensive power. they're not like crappy generic brands (legacy, pyle, boss, etc...).
lightning audio is the same company as Rockford Fosgate. from my experience with installing a couple lightning audio 4 channel amps, i can say that they will work fine for the door speakers. a few car audio magazines did tests with lightning audio amps, and the results were pretty impressive.

Hey, don't be dissin the BOSS amps....they are cheap...and my has never heated up....overheated....i have had it ofr 2 years and it has never failed to perform.

leenjen, what do you think of power acoustik amps? also, can you tell me some other "cheap" brand amps that are decent quality?

I had some 400 watt Power Acoustics one time and I will never own them again. I do't know if it was poor manufacturing or freak accident but the damn thing caught on fire in my trunk at the fuse holder. Luckily a friend that was outside seen it and told me my trunk was on fire. Bad situation. Just telling you.

Originally posted by MSTNGGUY88
I had some 400 watt Power Acoustics one time and I will never own them again. I do't know if it was poor manufacturing or freak accident but the damn thing caught on fire in my trunk at the fuse holder. Luckily a friend that was outside seen it and told me my trunk was on fire. Bad situation. Just telling you.

same thing happened to my friend's power acoustik amp. his burned up too. it's because they never reach their rated power. and if you turn up the gain, the amp is overworked. if you get one, dont expect it to last much longer than a year.

lightning audio and profile are pretty cheap, and they sound good. they obvoisly cant compare to US AMPS, Orion, Hifonics, etc... but they get the job done without distorting or frying. Ample Audio makes some nice amps, and a few places will sell them at a low price. Fusion is another company that makes good subwoofer amps for not a lot of $$$. Fusion is one of the most impressive companys around. they've only been around (in the U.S.) for a short time, and they have amazing subs, amps, and components. if you ever see a black and green Jetta that says Fusion at any competitions, check it out. it's really impressive.

Another good entry level amp are the USAccoustics amps... I've installed a couple and they're by no means underated, but they probably do what they're rated at. Decent sounding, not a bad buy.

US acoustics are rated at 12 volts if I remember correctly, so they should do more in our X's. Profile's are slightly overrated, but great amps for the money.

Back