MPG vs. Tire Size (Information to Ponder)! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MPG vs. Tire Size (Information to Ponder)!

I do not really care otherwise I would have never put on a lift and big tires. I am curious about it though.

Gas will go back up eventually though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who cares? Gas prices have been cut more than In half the past month!

While your assessment of gas prices going down is accurate, what is going to happen in two months or two years...we don't know. Hence the reason we care and are discussing this topic.

Some of us do .. I'd rather put money towards something that lasts more than a week or two instead of burning it in the engine day in and day out. Plus I'm poor :).

I have been studying this stuff for years, and I always like finding how I can make what I have better in both appearance and performance.

I do not really care otherwise I would have never put on a lift and big tires. I am curious about it though.

Gas will go back up eventually though.

I agree that gas will go back up and that is why I have been looking at this. I bought my X as a replacement for my gas guzzling truck, but in this exchange, I lost some capability. Smaller tire, less ground clearance just to name a few. I needed something that got better mileage (saw a 50% plus increase in mileage in the exchange), could handle my family for a trip (camping mostly) and still had some capability and possibilities. I'm looking at this information so I can figure out how to upgrade in multiple areas to get taller and not kill mileage completely.

I am seeing a drop so far but it is not awful. I live 5 miles from my office so I do not have to drive very far unless I just want to.

I am seeing a drop so far but it is not awful. I live 5 miles from my office so I do not have to drive very far unless I just want to.

I only make 1 or 2 trips a year were I can get an accurate reading. Short 2 mile trips during the week, and 300 mile trips on the weekend that take me form 6,600 ft to 11,000 ft back down to 4,800 ft. I wish I have one of them trip computers. It would be fun to see what I get when I come down from the tunnel at 80.

With my 98 I was getting HORRIBLE mileage, and it wasn't because of the 32's. My daily commute is about 16km (10 mi) per day. I was using a FULL tank of gas every week to do this.

According to the trip computer in my 05 EB, I can run about 5 weeks between fill ups. Tires will affect mileage, but other , darker forces can be your worse enemy. :eek:

Going Green

So has anyone used nitrogen in their tires? If so have you noticed and difference? I am currently running 31s on my X with nitrogen. When I first upgrade from stock tires to the 31s I actually noticed a difference in my MPG, but how? I got bigger tires the MPG should have got worse. I dont think nitrogen could make that much of a difference.

So has anyone used nitrogen in their tires? If so have you noticed and difference? I am currently running 31s on my X with nitrogen. When I first upgrade from stock tires to the 31s I actually noticed a difference in my MPG, but how? I got bigger tires the MPG should have got worse. I dont think nitrogen could make that much of a difference.

Nitrogen will not affect mileage. It's just more stable than everyday old air and will maintain more equal and consistant pressure.

The only real advantage to nitrogen is that you don't have to add air to your tires as often.

If you are prone to let your tires run low then nitrogen may keep them up longer and therefore have the effect of helping your mileage.

im looking into getting new gears to help with accleration and MPG, I found on summitracing.com 4.10's for 250 and ive called around for install prices and its around 500-600, so after christmas ill have them upgraded

thought this is the best way to help with MPG, though i know im spending a crap load to do so:rolleyes:

im looking into getting new gears to help with accleration and MPG, I found on summitracing.com 4.10's for 250 and ive called around for install prices and its around 500-600, so after christmas ill have them upgraded

thought this is the best way to help with MPG, though i know im spending a crap load to do so:rolleyes:

should pay for itself in a couple hundred years...:p:

Back