mustang rims on 98x | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mustang rims on 98x

taiedman45

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xl
ok so my dad swapped out stock 2000 mustang rims for some huge ones and the old stock ones mount up nice on my 98x and i like the look of them,
i was wondering if the stock mustang tire on the rim would be able to run on the x because im a little worried about the weight of the x on the tires.
if anyone knows if they don't support the weight what would be the right tire size?
oh and ive got the notorious rear end sag and was wondering if helper springs cure this because my dad for some reason thinks i need new springs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is a guy on here that has a sport with i believe mustang gt rims

there is a guy on here that has a sport with i believe mustang gt rims

Am I the one that you are talking about if so yes they do fit nice. I had mustang rim on both my 1st and 2nd gen Sport :D

PA120267.jpg

explorerRyan003.jpg

And I have Saleen wheels on mine...

Ryan

some guy had an 01 sport like mine with gt rims

yea the rims i got are 17x8, just wondering what tire sizes can fit underneath the explorer without rub or weight issues.

17x8 should fit nicely.

yea the rims i got are 17x8, just wondering what tire sizes can fit underneath the explorer without rub or weight issues.

well I have 315-35-17 on rear , 245-45-17 on the front :cool:

I am VERY low in the rear, tucking a bit of the rubber, and the WIDEST you can go there is a 285....so I have 285/50-18 in the rear, and 255/55-18 up front.

Ryan

ok the main thing I'm worried about is mounting the mustang rims up with the tires on them and taking it off my lift and blowing them out because the tires aren't rated for the weight of the x. i got the sizes and the amount of weight they can handle

mustang rims and tires:
245-45-17 1709lbs at 50 psi max

stock explorer tires:
235-75-15 2030lbs at 44 psi max

a lot of people are saying they cant handle the weight so I'm a little worried about putting them on when the summer rolls around. any ideas?
*edit*
did the math with the gross weight of the x and its fine, lol
they have a 1208.4lbs extra

ok i know this one is old but i dont want a ton of tire gap in the wells so the biggest i can go on a 17 would be like, 245/65 or can i get a 245/70 in there?

i have 1997 cobra rims on my 97x..... they are 17" and i can fit a 265/65/17 destination a/t with a little bit of rubbing but they are fine. Does anyone know if i could put the 2005+ rouch racing rims on an explorer??? I havent seen it done but i absolutely love those wheels. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pts/1035844487.html . These are them and they are near me

Am I the one that you are talking about if so yes they do fit nice. I had mustang rim on both my 1st and 2nd gen Sport :D

PA120267.jpg

Do you know what the offset is on these? Also do you know what year mustang they came from?

Those are aftermarket Cobra R's with a polished rims, and faux 2/3 piece rim bolts....they NEVER looked like that on a Factory Mustang.

Ryan

well i finally put them on, drove around for about a week on them and i didn't like how the tires looked. they looked like they were way too small for the x so i swapped back to stock. i think im gonna put some big summer tires on them later on once i put on warrior shackles and do a tt.

mustangs:

exp7.jpg

exp8.jpg

exp9.jpg

stock rims/tires shined up:

exp4.jpg

exp1.jpg

ps. i had great mpgs with the mustangs on. kinda wanted to keep them on just because.

just my imput i have the mustang gt rims that are 17x8 with very low tires 255/45/17 and they hold the weight very well no problems at all even running past 120 i will be going with a bigger tire and different rim soon only cause i want to fill the fender well a little more

That Mustang wheel/tire combo was WAY too small for the Explorer.

You could have used the Explorer TIRE, on the Mustang WHEEL. That Mustang combo was probably 2-3 inches shorter than the stock Explorer combo.

Ryan

I don't think i can use the stock x tires on the mustang rims. stock tire is 235/75/15 mustang rims fit 245/45/17 so it would have to be a little wider and a bigger diameter tire.

PA120267.jpg

explorerRyan003.jpg

I have that same exact 98 . yours f'n RULEZ! What backspacing and offset are you runnin on those cobras?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back