Mustang Rims on my 05?

NickStorey

Reaction score
City, State
London, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT, 4.6 V8
Hey Guys,

So I found a sick deal on an awesome looking set of grey/black/chrome mustang rims from a takeoff,

these are them - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustan...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d35e025a8

(this is just for description, this is not the actual source Id be buying them from)

My question is, since I know stang rims do carry over to an explorer relatively easy, what size tires would I use if this is possible?
I want something like a General Grabber AT2, but since Im compensatibg with a bigger tire than would normally be on here, how could I figure out the tire specs Id need?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The main concern will be the backspacing. They might not clear the caliper, or they might stick out too far. Get that number and you can figure out where they will sit relative to stock.

Look @ offset in ratio to width, the wider the wheel the more negative you *may* need in order to clear the inside of the wheel well.

Use this chart for example:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235940

Also, if you're going to tow, you need to make sure the wheels will handle the gross weight. You don't want to be loaded up & have a wheel fail.

Don't forget about centerbore. For example Lincoln cars compared to some ford cars, lincolns have a smaller center bore, and you need hubcentric rings to compensate, to keep your wheel centered & keep stress off of your lugs. Not doing it will feel like unbalanced wheels, they won't stay perfectly center on the hubs.

Thanks for the speedy replies guys,

as far as spacing goes, they say 17X7JX40 so I believe that means a +40? I sorry Im not too familiar with wheela or their specs.
as for the center hubs how would I figure out that situation?

Thanks

Jx40 is not common terminology.

Find the manufacturer specs for the wheel, either with Google or contact the manufacturer.

Center bore, use Google.

Search to find our measurement, then cross reference it to what the stang wheel spec is.

Can always use a micrometer, or even a tape measure. When they're off it's 1/4 inch diffrence, you'll know it when you see it. Hubcentric rings if needed can be made out of delrin by any machine shop. Teflon, aluminium, etc.

After some clicks, froader already answered that they'll work good.

I'm 99% sure c/b will be the same.

Just worth a check.

Can always get rings quick if needed.

For that price, though, if I were you, I'd look @ other factory/ factory replica stang wheels, unless you really like those.

Get some 18" wheels maybe.

I bet (not sure) 18" tires are cheaper, might offset a higher priced wheel package, and be cheaper next time around also.

What is the load rating onthe wheels? A Mustang GVW is a lot less than an Explorer.

Heaver (stronger) wheels do not perform as well as lighter wheels. I would make sure that the load rating is adequate.

Back