Mustang Rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang Rims?

Hello all,

I have a 1999 Mustang GT, with a set of 17x9 (optional equipment) and I am thinking about buying a 2000 Explorer XLT (4x4, SOHC 4.0, Auto), and would like to know if I could possibly use my Mustang rims on the XLT. What size tires (17") would fit the best with those rims on the XLT? Or, should I just leave the 15" stock rims on the XLT? Does it matter that much on an Explorer? 15" to 17"? Thanks.

Thanks.

Yes, the rims will fit the explorer. Not really sure what size tires to get though. Try searching the site for tire sizes.

I don't think they will fit a 4x4's front axle.

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I'm not sure they would look good on an Explorer anyway, just a thought.

The 9" Mustang rims are harder to fit, many have done it, but I think they all use spacers.

The first set of wheels/tires for my Mountaineer were 96 Cobra wheels, and 255/60/17's.
The Cobra 17x8's are almost a perfect fit, just a slight rub on the rear parking brake cable.

Now that I have 18's, I wish I had stayed with the 17's. The handling was better, more nimble. My 17's were 29" tires(stock height). These 18's are 30.6" tall, and I think something between 29.5" and 30" would be best for street use. A 265/60/17 would be 29.5" tall. My current spare is a 275/60/17, but I've never used it. Someone else may be able to suggest how they handle. Good luck,
Don

Back