Mustangs and Nitrous

DonM

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ocean View, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Simple question....What size jets/shim do you use for a 150 shot on a Mustang with 19 pound injectors?

In general which would be safer and why? Supercharger/turbo or running nitrous?

IMO a sc or turbo would be safer, but Id like some opinions from someone who knows what there talking about.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The size of jets depends on the kit you're using.

Both can be very safe or very dangerous, it all depends on tuning, setup, monitoring, and safety considerations.

first of all, a 150 shot is just too much with stock injectors. what specific setup are you planning on running? what year stang? V8 i assume?

Alec said:
The size of jets depends on the kit you're using.

Both can be very safe or very dangerous, it all depends on tuning, setup, monitoring, and safety considerations.

Yeah sure I realize they can be safe or danerous depending on the setup. I worded my question wrong.

Im looking for the safest, fastest, cheapest way to add HP without doing damage to the engine or the rest of the car and ive gotten in to a debate on weather or not nitrous will kill an engine quicker then a SC or Turbo.

Ive seen cars run for years using a SC or a Turbo, but ive never seen a car engine last more then a few years on nitrous and if it did the nitrous wasnt used much.

JamesT it's a 2001 and yes it's a V8

james t said:
first of all, a 150 shot is just too much with stock injectors. what specific setup are you planning on running? what year stang? V8 i assume?

Incorrect, we ran 150 shot on a stock LX for a long time, and ran low 12's, the only thing that got cooked was the OD in the tranny.

SVO said:
Incorrect, we ran 150 shot on a stock LX for a long time, and ran low 12's, the only thing that got cooked was the OD in the tranny.
with 19lb injectors? really?

If you run a wet shot then there won't be a problem with stock injectors.

Of course nitrous has the price advantage, but forced induction has all the others. Of course you're gonna tune it to be powerful and reliable, and the power is always there.

It's easy to mess up with either, just much more likely with nitrous.

Alec said:
If you run a wet shot then there won't be a problem with stock injectors.

Of course nitrous has the price advantage, but forced induction has all the others. Of course you're gonna tune it to be powerful and reliable, and the power is always there.

It's easy to mess up with either, just much more likely with nitrous.

Well that's why im asking. So your saying nitrous can and is more dangerous for the engine?

Not is, but definately can be.

its all in the tune. the bigger the shot, the better the tune/setup needs to be. you have alot bigger margin of error with a smaller shot. there is no cut and dry answer as to how much if any it ruins a motor because there are just too many variables. set up right, you'll be good to go.

Fuel, fuel, fuel, and did I mention fuel?

Detonation on any set up boosted or spray is a VERY BAD thing, a timing retard unit, and/or a window switch (spray only) is a great piece of insurance!

Yes boost can be as dangerious/hazardious as spray.

I have trashed more motors on boost than spray, but I prefer boost over spray though.

I have a box (mabey I'll dig it up and photograph it) of one of my pistons, it would make 8 people a nice paper wieght, that doesn't include the blck or the head.

If you take your time, and install the set-up correctly using all correct parts (don't cut ANY corners) and read and understand how each system works and why it does what it does, and how it does it.
Then you will feel more confident about using them and tuning them.

Wet systems are the sure fire way to go, but you can safey use a dry system if you do it right and don't push the envelope.

First thing to remember is that if you do anything to an engine that doesn't run right, this will definatly make it worse, peroid!

Make sure that your car runs "Top Notch" before you do anything like boost or spray, if not, don't point the finger at anyone but yourself, the out come will not be pretty!!

I you don't feel as thuogh you should install it yourself, find a system call the company and have them recomend a local install shop, then interview them, and mabey a customer or two.

and let me stress about oil, oil is the life blood of turbos and many cenrifical S/C's be sure to maintain it, and with spray, it contaminates the oil, so the more you use it, by far the more you need to step your changing intervals.

S/C and turbos are varible in power through out the RPM range, where-as the spray is only activated during WOT.

James was talking about tuning, if a chip is involved it will be the lastthing to be done, it's the cherry on the icecream, if this is not the case revert to back where I said about making sure your car runs "Top Notch"!

Be sure to try and tune on the dyno, I know it's a lot of monies but it's well worth it over a "wing it" type generic program that they'll pull out of thier file logs.

IE: I spent $130 some odd dollars for 12 viscious pulls with one of my 4 poppers and between the adj. cam sprocket and adjusting the boost I made 306 RWHP from 230 something, that 70 something horse power for $130, and all I did was read the hp/tq valuse @ per rpm w/the A/F reading per rpms and made my mechanical adjs., now that's what I call tuning and bang for the buck, how long did that take, not more than 45min on the dyno.

I i'll admit I'm not a pro, but I have played with a few diffrent setups, from time to time, the main thing is that you do through research for your specific needs and impliment a smooth program for putting it all together.

Attachments

• retard.jpg
    retard.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 118

SVO said:
I i'll admit I'm not a pro, but I have played with a few diffrent setups, from time to time, the main thing is that you do through research for your specific needs and impliment a smooth program for putting it all together.
You speak from experience.
I say use a turbo with nitrous to help with spool up.
But like SVO said, make sure you do alot of research and planning. Dont listen to opinions.

SVO said:
James was talking about tuning, if a chip is involved it will be the lastthing to be done, it's the cherry on the icecream, if this is not the case revert to back where I said about making sure your car runs "Top Notch"!
sorry, possible regional dialect issues. :p in my neck of the woods, tuning means getting the A/F ratio all good by whatever means. chip, laptop, FMU, big pump, bigger injectors/MAF sensor, etc. etc. its a phrase that encompasses all that you would do to achieve a good A/F ratio.

james t said:
sorry, possible regional dialect issues. :p in my neck of the woods, tuning means getting the A/F ratio all good by whatever means. chip, laptop, FMU, big pump, bigger injectors/MAF sensor, etc. etc. its a phrase that encompasses all that you would do to achieve a good A/F ratio.
I always thought that tuning meant making adjustments, not buying more parts.
Maybe thats why cars are faster in Texas.

im in Texarkana, which is half in Texas. :p anyway, the point is moot as he/you/anyone else will want to do whatever possible to keep from leaning out on whatever size shot he/you/anyone else is spraying.

james t said:
I know lots of people running 150 shots with stock 19 pound injectors. And I am not (aint) talking about a wet system. ;)

sorry, just an opinion. you know what those are worth. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also think tuning includes any parts you need to get a system safe, reliable, and optimized. Basically, you buy everything you think you need, go to the dyno, then buy everything else you need to get it right ;)

Running a dry shot with the stock computer, injectors, and FPR/FMU is just asking for trouble.

Back