• Register Today It's free!

My 1986 Bronco II doesn't start.

Blue oval man

Reaction score
City, State
castle rock washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Bronco II
Hi I am a new member to your forum and already I have a question? I bought a 1986 Bronco II Eddie Bauer edition 2.9 liter. I can't get it to start. I got fuel to the fuel rail but it is not going into the cylinders it will start with starting fluid but will only run until the starting fluid is gone. I have replaced the coil the cap and rotor the distributor the pick up coil the starter module plugs and wires o2 sensor the fuel pump relays and still no fuel into the motor does anybody know what could be wrong

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. Is the fuel rail properly pressurized? Is it a throttle body injection, or individual injectors? I would make sure the injector(s) were getting power. I would check to see if there is a relay for the fuel injector, if so it may be the same as one for the horn, or something else non essential, and you can swap them.

I checked the fuel pressure on the rail it didnt show any.I can here the fuel pump on the frame running when I jumper it across but the pump only comes on when jumpered(relay is new)The pump inside the tank does noy make any noise.The injectors are individual.

If your in tank lift pump isn't working i don't think the main pump can lift fuel to the engine by itself, at least at the psi to make the engine run. you probably need to change your in tank pump, and def change your filter, if you just bought it that's a place to start anyway. none of the other stuff you changed is necessarily going to be a bad thing its just not causing the problem you are having.

one easy thing, have you checked your inertia switch under the passenger side dash? that device specifically cust power to the fp's, its easy to reset and it could be the problem.

I have heard that if the in tank pump is out, the high pressure will be good enough if you are over a half tank of gas, and on flat ground.

I would replace the filter on the line up by the driver door first, and also their is a small filter that looks like a round K&N air filter inside fuel regulator. Mine was really plugged and caused all kinds of problems.

The regulator is located on the passenger side on the inner frame. It is a round plastic looking thing. Take a pipe wrench, or big pair of channel locks and unscrew it. The filter will come out with it. If you cannot easilly blow throw the hole on the top get a new one, dont even bother cleaning it.
$5 at auto zone. If not that then you may have some really plugged injectors.

Just a thought, and a few cheap easy fixes that did wonders on mine.

Back