My 1992 ford explorer xlt 4-wheel drive is having some issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1992 ford explorer xlt 4-wheel drive is having some issues

Blazinxplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San jacinto, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer
I just bought a rebuilt 1992 ford explorer with 80,000 miles on it in may of 2015 and have been having issues with it since I bought it, there is a ticking noose under the hood that get bad when you give it gas, when driving at times (mostly from a dead stop) it revs really high but won't shift and then grabs all of a sudden, things like these. I have run tests on it but have always gotten a 111 (all clear) from the koeo tests andwhen I do KOER I get both 411 and 412 codes ( idling to high or to low) and that's all. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if anyone might have any ideas because I'm scratching my head on this one. Also don't know If it matters but my mpg also fluctuates frequently. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it because I love this vehicle and I really really don't want to part with it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The other issues I'm not positive on, but the waiting to shift problem is most likely the governor. You can get to it by dropping the transfer case.

code 411; cannot control rpm during koer low rpm check
code 412; cannot control rpm during koer high rpm check
this does not mean it is idling too high or too low, simply that the computer cant control rpm during testing. your symptoms sound more like an air leak somewhere.

Or it could be as simple as the IAC valve being stuck or shorted and the computer cannot control it.

The revving high almost sounds like you're low on fluid or the tranny is slipping.

Re

I did a little research and there's a bunch of stuff about an idle speed control? But thank you guys I will check for air leaks and everything and get back to the thread. Also was wondering if the ticking noise that I'm hearing is a rocker arm? I had a 91 xlt before this and had a rocked arm hitting the head case and it made the same noise. And lastly I was wondering if servicing the tranny might help with the over Rev problem I mentioned earlier

What does the governor do anyways have heard the term in passing a few times but never had it explained to me

Where is the IAC valve on a 92 and how do I check it? Just look at it or is there something I can do to it to see if it is bad?

iac should be on the upper intake near the throttle body. with engine off, remove the 2 wire connector and test for resistance. there should be 7 to 14 ohms. if not the valve is probably done. with the engine running, remove 2 wire connector from valve and listen for rpm change. if no change, valve is probably bad. with this particular part, it's been my experience that fords don't like the aftermarket stuff, go motorcraft.

If the resistance specs out, you can clean it with carb cleaner, gently, followed by light air pressure to dry it out will often get it working if built up with carbon deposits.

The governor is in the tailshaft of the transmission. As you gain speed down the road, centrifugal force pushes the governor out and tells the transmission it's time to shift.

I had a similar issue in my 92. Swapped out the vacuum modulator and all was good again.

Back