How to: - My 1st Gen Heater Core Replacement Diary | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: My 1st Gen Heater Core Replacement Diary

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Thanks a ton, very well done almost can't wait to go replace mine now! LOL!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks soooooooooooooo much for this post. The auto shops keep trying to tell me it takes 1.4 hours to do this. I've had it done twice (with a previous bad radiator) and I know it only takes 15 mins max. I've even explained the process to them and now I have proof in the pics!!!! Thanks again!!!!!

Hey everyone, I could really use some help with my heater core issues!

I installed a winch and connected it directly to my battery in may '11, then the original heater core went out in july so I replaced it (not knowing about electrolysis). This new core only lasted till september, this is when I read about electrolysis and tested the coolant with a voltmeter, it read .28. So I disconnected the winch and got a reading of .20, and replaced the core. Now its november and the core went out again!!

Is .20 high enough to cause electrolysis? If so what is causing the core to go out so fast? Thanks!

Hey everyone, I could really use some help with my heater core issues!

I installed a winch and connected it directly to my battery in may '11, then the original heater core went out in july so I replaced it (not knowing about electrolysis). This new core only lasted till september, this is when I read about electrolysis and tested the coolant with a voltmeter, it read .28. So I disconnected the winch and got a reading of .20, and replaced the core. Now its november and the core went out again!!

Is .20 high enough to cause electrolysis? If so what is causing the core to go out so fast? Thanks!

Yes .20 is enough to cause electrolysis. To fix it drain and flush the cooling system. Whem you're flushing it make sure to have the heater in the on position so it flushes the heater core too. Refill it with 50/50 AF/DISTILLED Water.

Alright I'll try that asap. I flushed it last november when I replaced the radiator but didn't use distilled water.. Thanks for the fast response!

Ok, I drained the system and put new A/F with distilled water this time and have a reading on the voltmeter of ~.10. It made a big difference. Is this low enough?

A walk in the park!!

A big thumbs up to Glacier for this write up that includes all the cool pics. I just did mine. Ford designed this one with your everyday Joe in mind. I also flushed the whole cooling system and installed a new thermostat. The Ex also got one of those 3 row all aluminum radiators while I was at it. Between this forum and the one I joined for my Harley are two of the best thing I ever did.. Thank you to everybody who has helped me with technical issue's and good deals with parts...

S.

Back