2nd Gen. Heater Core WTF now??? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen. Heater Core WTF now???

cough blend door cough

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cough blend door cough

Blend door switches heat to cold--correct? IT is electronically driven.
I get good heat and cold selection--no problem there.

I am speaking of the function door--to the right, and behind the glove box, with the vacuum actuator. Neither door is broken, at least I don't think they are.

cough blend door cough

I wasn't cruel enough to suggest this again. :p:

I don't think its the blend door, because you are correct, its function is to mix cold and warm air. You probably have a vac line leak somewhere.

Check the lines that go to your vac globe- if they are inverted, it will not work. I had that problem after I removed my fender liners to install my TMH's.

I think this is where I am messed up--actually. :D

hook a vacume line up to the a/c vacume line directly, maybe use another vehicles vacume system if nessicary, that will eliminate or isolate the problem to the cab or the engine bay

OK
I just noticed something else--this is connected I just know it.
when switched to "max ac" the air would start blowing from vents, and blow harder. I could then switch back to vent, where it would stay.
Now, when max is selected, the fan no longer picks up speed ( or secondary fan doesn't switch on??) and the vent trick doesn't work.

OK-what am I missing here? Is this also a clue to a vacuum problem?

The max a/c opens a door right behind your glove box so that cabin air has direct access to the blower. It has a vacuum operated actuator to move it. There isn't a secondary blower for max a/c, just the door opens so there is less restriction on the blower, so it speeds up. You can flip your glove box down and see the door and actuator.

I would say you have a vacuum problem somewhere.

Check all your vacuum hoses again. If it worked before, then there shouldn't be a problem now. Although it is possible one got damaged, it is still unlikely.

Glad you got the core replaced though. Quite a laborious task.

(Peter Sellers french accent)

The problem is solv-ed

dohp!

Yeah--I now remember, right after installing my headers, the funny burning smell, and the grey line melted in 2 pieces. I scabbed it back together with a piece of rubber hose--didn't think about the end that was almost melted completely closed off----but it wasn't leaking:D

More on this fix found here--

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192842

heatercore 2nd gen

Hi
Have 96 Explorer needs heater core. Phoned Ford dealer& they faxed me info on changing. Got to part about removing inst panel. Followed fax, but panel will not move. Seems loose at bottom but top will not come back. Removed 2 bolts drivers side, 1 on pass. Removed top grill and 4 bolts under it, lowered steer column. Removed inst cluster sound system, heater/air controls, Reread Ford service procedure 3 or 4 times I think I followed it exactly. Anyone have any ideas?

Back