My 2000 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOVH Died | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2000 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOVH Died

cuaumuz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport 4x4
My Exploder died on me the other day when I was pulling out of a parking lot. She started up fine, then misfired and flatlined. She cranks like a champ, fuel pump works, runs for a few seconds when I spray starting fluid in the intake and I just replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Any ideas???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Exploder died on me the other day when I was pulling out of a parking lot. She started up fine, then misfired and flatlined. She cranks like a champ, fuel pump works, runs for a few seconds when I spray starting fluid in the intake and I just replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Any ideas???
If it runs when you spay the intake, then it aint gettin fuel. You say the fuel pump works, what is your fuel pressure? Changed the fuel filter?

I know the pump works because I replaced it recently and I hear it priming. There is pressure when I hit the schrader valve, and yes, I changed the fuel filter as well. Haven't checked actual pressure due to lack of test equipment though.

Ok, 2000StreetRod, how do I go about checking the fuel pressure on a vehicle that won't start? Just curious? And is there a way to test the Camshaft Position Sensor? My battery is good (just got it recharged from Autozone), I have spark, and my TPS is good.

I would check the fuel pump fuse and relay with those symptoms.

turn on the ignition

Ok, 2000StreetRod, how do I go about checking the fuel pressure on a vehicle that won't start?

The fuel pump should run for a few seconds when the ignition key is turned on. That should be long enough for the system to pressurize with a good fuel pump and an open fuel filter. As I recall, the fuel pump runs as long as the starter is cranking if the PCM receives a good signal from the crankshaft position sensor.

One way to detect a weak fuel pump or restricted flow thru the fuel filter is to turn the ignition on, off and on a couple times. If the engine starts when it wouldn't normally you probably have a fuel supply problem.

Try a different PATS key. On my 2000 the PCM disables the fuel injectors when the PCM does not recognize the key used in the ignition.

Back