My '98 Ex won't start!

OneShotBandit

Reaction score
City, State
Marion, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Guys (Gals),
My '98 won't start, wtf? It ran great last night! It cranks, has electrics, it just won't start! I had the m0012 deal done 3 months ago, could it be a timing chain? BTW I had the IAC & something to do w/the thottle body & thottle cable (it was sticking) replaced the same time as the cam tensioners. I had the truck in for tire rotation & oil change, was told it was time for a fuel filter change, maybe this? Or maybe a fuel pump? I understand this is all very general, but any advice (cheapest first) would be great as I'm no mechanic.

Virg :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it turning over at all for you? or are you just hearing click, click, click when you try and start it.

No clicks, that would be the battery (new NAPA < 6 months old), starter, etc. It cranks over, but no start. I couldn't tell if it was firing. Thanks for the reply.

Virg :hammer:

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I would check for adequate pressure first to see if you are having an electrical or fuel delivery issue.

When you turn the ignition to the on position do you hear the fuel pump kick on for a couple seconds? If you don't it could be the fuel pump or just the relay. I would check those first, since they're pretty easy to check. Hope that helps. :)

Well, Just got off the 'phone w/the mechanic..... it was the fuel pump! He said they checked the fuel relay & electronics they were okay. He told me they always check the "cheapest" on up before repairs! Yeah, right! Thanks for all the interest. This is a great forum for us non mechanical inclined minds!

Virgil :mattmoon: :D

DAMN!
Fuel Pump : $342.00
Labor: 170.00
Tow: 45.00
subtotal $554.00
tx 23.70
total $577.70

Damn did they offer you any lube with that butt raping of a repair charge? Hate to tell you this but a fuel pump cost around $200 at your local parts store.. Dunno why they charge so much more for it. Its a pain in the butt job to do, I've had to change mine out before and let me tell you it sucks.. I wish Ford would have put a drain plug in the tank like the old ones used to but then again its a plastic tank so that might be the reason.

I was told he had to get it from a Ft. Wayne (~ 50 miles away) Ford dealer. That's right he replaced it w/OEM part. Hmmm?

Virg :fire:

Back